74

Hiko's pov

Mum and I spoke about anything and everything, there was so much I wanted to know about my parents and there was so much my mum had missed. I could honestly say this moment was better than my dreams, nothing could beat knowing who your parents are or spending time with your mother. As time passed however my mind drifted to Naruto, with me now dead Naruto would be all alone.

"Hey mum, when you see Naruto again tell him I'm sorry for leaving him. And that I love him. And that If Shikamaru breaks his promise and doesn't look out for him then he's to get Sakura to beat Shikamaru up." I said. "Oh! Remind him he can't eat ramen every day. And that laundry should be done twice a week. And... and..."

I started to cry and my mum pulled me into a hug. She was also tearing up.

"There's so much to say and never enough time to say it." Mum said. "It's harder to go when you can't say goodbye first."

"I didn't even get to say what I wanted to say." I said. "I had so many things on my mind, and all I could talk about was the clouds."

Suddenly I began glowing a golden colour as small balls of light flaked off with my skin and clothes.

"I guess you'll still get the chance to speak your mind. It's not your time just yet." Mum said.

"What? No. What about you? I finally got to meet you." I said as I grabbed her hands.

"It's okay, I'll always be here. I don't mind waiting for you Hiko. Just look out for Naruto for me, ya know." Mum said, tearing up.

"I will. I always have." I said.

"I know." Mum said. "Don't come back too soon Ya know! I want you to grow up some more before you come back here."

"I'll try." I said.

"I love you." Mum said as she let go of my hands and I was enveloped in light.

My body suddenly felt heavy and I was in agony. It took all my strength just to crack my eyes open.

"Shikamaru?" I called hoarsely.

"Hiko! How are you feeling?" Shikamaru asked as he hurried over to me, taking one of my hands in his.

"Agony does not begin to describe the pain my body is in." I replied, my throught scratchy and dry. "How's everyone else holding up?"

"We're all okay thanks to Naruto." Shikamaru said.

"Of course." I said with a weak chuckle.

Time skip

We all went down to see Naruto return after defeating Pein. Shikamaru and I couldn't really walk on our own though so Choji and Ino were helping us out. Shikamaru was using Ino as a crutch and Choji was carrying me.

Once Naruto was done being surrounded by adoring kids and hugging Sakura he came straight for me. Choji put me down and Naruto caught me in a hug to stop me from falling and I couldn't help but smile. My brother really was amazing.

"You had me worried sick! I thought you were dead ya know! You say I'm the idiot but you're the one lacking a brain this time, what were you thinking going up against Pein!?" Naruto scolded.

I felt my cheeks go red and I glanced away, never in my life had my brother ever scoded me. I was supposed to be the one looking out for him. I was supposed to be the one telling him he was reckless to go against Pein on his own and never to do it again. I spotted Sakura giggling behind him and simply pouted at her before getting ready to scold Naruto.

"You're the reckless one! You need to learn to accept help every once in a while, honestly, you're lucky you didn't die going up against Pein on your own!" I scolded, leaning back a bit to look at him and wincing in pain.

"You're my little sister, and dad entrusted your protection to me, I'm allowed to do dangerous things to keep you and the village safe. Dad said so himself." Naruto said to me with a grin. "That means for the first time ever, I win!"

I looked at him in shock for a moment. He actually won an argument against me, more importantly he met dad.

"You met dad?" I asked.

"Yeah, we're the kids of the fourth hokage, we've got a big name to live up to." Naruto said proudly.

"You've already surpassed him." I said, a soft smile gracing my lips.