77

Hiko's pov

We didn't have nearly as much preparation time as I had hoped we'd have. We finished war prep on the morning we were due to head out.

"Looking good Hiko." Tenten said, drawing my attention away from my check lest. "You really look the part of a jonin now."

"Thanks, if we're gonna fight a war we best look the part." I said.

I was dressed in a traditional konoha shinobi uniform just like everyone else was. I had on my jonin vest and a long sleeved black shirt with the Uzumaki clan symbol on the sleeves. I had baggy black trousers that tucked into my sandals and a kunai pouch strapped to my left leg. I had considered cutting my hair short to keep it out of my face but instead opted for tying it up into a ponytail. Most importantly I wore a headband with the word shinobi engraved on it on my forehead.

"Lady Tsunade sent us to check in on the preparations." Neji said.

"I just finished running the final check list before you came in. Everything is done and accounted for." I said as I handed him the checklist. "I'd say I'm exhausted but if that tired me out I've got no chance."

"You've been running last minute checklists since 1am this morning. I'd be tired too if I was up that early." Tenten said.

"She's right, Lady Tsunade will want to check everything herself before we leave. You should take that time to get some rest." Neji said.

Time skip

The whole Shinobi forces had arrived at the same time. We were organised into our battalions and lined up by the thousands to listen to our leaders and their plans for the war. I was stood beside Konkuro who was going to be my captain during the war. Everyone around us was fighting with eachother over old grudges. The fighting suddenly stopped as Gaara threw people apart with his sand.

"In the name of gain and profit for ones nation and village shinobi have hated and hurt eachother for many years from the first to the third great ninja wars and the conflicts in-between. All of that hatred cried out for power and thus I was born. In the past I was hatred and power and a jinchuriki. I hated this world and all of its people and thought only of destroying it. I was no different than the Akatsuki is now. But then, a single shinobi from the hidden leaf village stopped me! He cried for me! I was his enemy and still he cried for me! He called me his friend even though we had battled. He saved me, we were on different sides but we were both jinchuriki. Between those who have experienced the same pain their can be no hate! There are no enemies here now because each one of us bears the pain of having been hurt by the Akatsuki!" Gaara began. "The Sand, the Stone, the Leaf, the Mist and the Cloud are no more. Now there is only... Shinobi! And if you're still unable to forgive the sand then you can come back and face me after this war is over!"

"Way to go Gaara." I muttered and Konkuro nodded in agreement.

"The girl I love once said to me that without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation. She said that grudges breed grudges and so she'd let go of all of her grudges to know the village human enough to acknowledge their mistakes. After I had hurt her teammates and her brother she said we could be friends and wished us luck for whatever would come next. I understand that not everyone can be so forgiving but it is that forgiveness that has kept the sand and the leaf close allies throught the years, that has made this alliance possible. Us Kage were able to forgive, to put our grudges aside in favour of saving this world." Gaara said. "So please, put your grudges aside and forgive one another! Wish eachother luck in their endeavours and see their humanity in their mistakes."

"The girl... he loves..." I trailed off.

"I wonder who said that to him." Konkuro said knowingly as he turned to look at me with a smug grin. "Are you okay there? You've invented a whole new shade of red!"

I buried my face in my hands, I couldn't believe Gaara had just said that he loved me infront of pretty much the whole Shinobi world.

"I'm gonna die before this war even starts." I said making Kankuro laugh.

"I'll be honest I told him to confess in his speech as a joke, I didn't think he'd actually have the guts to do it." Konkuro said.

"I hate you." I whined.

"So, do you love him back or not? We could never get a clear read on it and you wouldn't just tell Temari. I'm dying to know." Konkuro said.

"I guess you're gonna have to keep dying then. I'm not telling you anything until I've spoken to Gaara." I replied.

Thinking about it Gaara and I were close in a way I wasn't close to Konkuro or Temari. There was just this sense of calmness that came with being around him. Knowing how he felt made all the flowers and invitations to the visit him make a lot more sense. Everything had been so obvious and yet I had missed it because I wasn't sure wether I liked him or Shikamaru. But Gaara had made his feelings clear while Shikamaru was still just my best friend. Why did this have to happen now of all times?

"The friend I spoke of who saved me, the girl I love's brother, is the target of our enemy, if he falls into their hands then our world is finished. I want to protect my friend and I want to protect this entire world! I am too young and inexperienced to do that so I ask you, all of you, please lend me your strength for this fight!" Gaara finished and everyone began to cheer. "All those who feel, as I do, follow me!"