Fifty three

Jo

     Isolation was Luke's first option, yet it wasn't any of mine. Luke wanted to send me on a plane to a place I hadn't even heard of, let alone be able to pronounce it's name. He wanted me to pack my things and escape.

It wasn't that easy, though.

For one, I didn't want to leave Luke behind. I couldn't. I also didn't know where the hell I was going, or if the whole 'run and hide' plan would even work in our favour. For all I knew, Marcus could find me as easily as if I was standing right next to him.

Luke came up with numerous ideas, all including me fleeing half way across the world, in company of Calum or Ashton. To my surprise, he almost called Michael to beg for his help. That's when I knew I had to do something.

"What would you say if  I said I had an idea," I questioned in the silent, tension filled air, Luke's jaw tense. "I'd say I wouldn't wanna hear it." He growled, assuming that was the end of the conversation.

It wasn't.

Luke has always been in charge, and had the final say. This time, I would be in charge. I would have the final say. "I'm going to Marcus," Luke's large hands bashed against the steering wheel, causing the car to swerve into the other lane before he sped back, a loud growl escaping his lips.

"No, Johanna."

I coughed, my eyes glued to the dark road ahead of me. It was peaceful outside. It would almost be sunrise, birds flying through the gloomy sky every so often. Wind whisked through the air, blowing multi coloured leaves in every direction.

For the beginning of a nice day, it sure wouldn't end in sunshine and rainbows.

"I'm going to Marcus," I repeated. "I'm going to talk to him." As I finished my last word, Luke let out a loud, sadistic laugh, before I could even close my mouth. "What do you think talking is going to do, Johanna. Really?" He scoffed. "How stupid can you be?"

I rolled my eyes, knowingly he saw, and he wasn't to impressed. At this very moment, making Luke upset because of a simple gesture was the least of my concerns.

"Apparently pretty stupid," I mumbled, and that's when the birds chirping and coloured leaves stopped appearing. It was as if what I had said changed the weather. Rain started slowly before pouring down, and the loud, screeching sounds of the thunder didn't come close to matching Luke's voice.

"This was your choice, Johanna! All of it! I never asked you to stick around." I was not only shocked but appalled. At the same time, this was Luke we were talking about. Expect the unexpected with him.

"Well, I did." I fought back. My life was on the line. After months of the hell I've gone through with Luke, the least I deserve is to defend my self. In all fairness, I didn't seem to have anyone else defending me anyways.

"I stuck around. Why, I don't know. But I did, Luke. I stuck around. And now I'm going to die because of it." I seemed to hit a soft spot, a spot I didn't think Luke had, or even knew about for that matter.

But I hit it, and I hit it hard.

Luke's words grew soft, his lips barely managing to sound out my name. "Your not going to die," He whispered, his teeth tugging at his lip ring. It was almost five in the morning, and it felt as if each passing second was equivalent to an hour, and the more time that past, the quicker it would be until we met Marcus.

In this chase, Luke decided to find Marcus, and not the other way around. He was the cat, our plan was that Marcus was the mouse. Vulnerable, desirable, and wouldn't stand a chance.

"Your not going to die," He repeated, as if he was ensuring himself, and not me. "I'm not going to let that happen."

It was silent again. For a few moments, I didn't mind it. It was almost peaceful, despite the roaring thunder and heavy rain, it was a moment I was to capture and cherish.

You never know how much time you have left, and this was relevant in both Luke and I's case. In a matter of hours, our lives could be destroyed, ruined. My life, at only nineteen could end, and I needed to take everything in.

"How close are you to Calum and Ashton," His lips parted, his eyes not once glancing in my direction. In fact, they haven't since we sat back in the car hours ago. "They've taken a few bullets for me," he mumbled, his head nodding slightly. "So you trust them?" The question lingered in mid air, before Luke's head finally shook yes.

"When I talk to Marcus, you can't be there. He'll expect it. But Calum and Ashton will be," His head turned slightly, yet not enough to look at me. Instead, if looked as if he wanted to, but glanced out my window before turning back to face the empty road.

"They listen to you. I'll give myself up, and there sure to be there helping Marcus. What he wont know is there helping you. If you tell them to kill Marcus, I'd bet my life on it they would"

A small, heart felt laugh escaped Luke's lips, and the warmth of his hand singled through my body as he placed his hand on my lap, intertwining our hands.

In such a terrifying and broken moment, I felt the warmth and safeness, all from Luke's simple gesture.

"You are betting your life on it," I managed a smile, a tiny, barely noticeable smile, right before a loud clap of thunder hit my ears, followed by the sound of cries, Luke's cries.

"You just don't get it Jo." His head shook, the rain pouring down in buckets, washing over Luke's car. "You're never going to get it." To say the rain matched Luke's tears was an understatement. The amount of water that was pouring from Luke's eyes couldn't compare to the storm outside. Sure, the storm outside was bad, but the one I was witnessing right now, inside the vehicle, was much, much worse.

"I can't put my trust in Calum and Ashton, not with you." His eyes rimmed red, his bottom lip quivered as he attempted to speak. Luke was broken, a state I never through he could reach. "You just don't get," He sighed, catching his breath. "I can't just leave you there alone not knowing if your safe or not." His hand slipped from mine, and in a swift, quick moment, I caught his fingers, my hand wrapping around his.

When Luke would hold my hand, it brought warmth and comfort when I needed it most. In this very moment, It wasn't me who needed consolidation, it was Luke.

"They say love hurts but, but not like this." He laughed. Even through tears, he managed to laugh. Something I would always admire.

"It isn't fair. This, is not fair. You don't deserve this. I love you and you don't deserve this." The rain slowly began to die down, and it was funny, seeming as Luke's tears only grew worse, as if the rain from the clouds drained from Luke's eyes instead.

"You see Johanna,  your not only all that I need, but all that I have. If, If you die," He choked on his own words, words I knew I didn't want to hear. "If you die Jo, a big part of me is going to die to."

For the first time in hours, Luke's blood shot eyes met mine, bringing tears to my own. Faint gasps escaped his lips, in attempt to catch his breath, as if he was begging to have just enough oxygen left to finish his sentence.

"Physically, I will be here. But, but if you leave me Johanna, mentally, I'd be just as dead as you."