thirty seven

Jo

     The pain I was feeling at this very moment is the equivalence to watching someone you love die. The fact my boyfriends friend had beat me up didn't phase me, considering he might have just killed my baby.

How was I to tell Luke? He almost seemed more happy about this baby then I had. Sure, we were in the wrong plenty of times, but this was our kid. Was, being the key word.

Like Michael had said, I kept my mouth shut. At the very moment, Luke had me cradled in his arms, seated on his lap. I was froze to say the least, and Luke had been kind enough to wrap his sweater around my shaken body.

I was slightly panicking at the thought of blood ruining Luke's clothes, but he hadn't said a word. Actually, he hadn't spoken since the moment he saw me. Instead, he had instantly began to cry, and scooped me into his arms while rocking me back and forth.

The rain had began to die down, but the pain in my stomach hadn't. "Jo." Luke's voice cracked, seeming as if he was forcing himself to speak. "Who did this?" His grip on me tightened, and at that point I had realized - I don't think Luke understands our baby could be dead.

My head had began to hurt, and I felt the immediate stare of Michael burning into me. Of course, the moment I looked up, Michael had been gave me a questioning look, his lips pursued in a thin line.

"I didn't see them." I whispered, Luke's large hand grabbing my tiny one, helping me stand up. "Are you sure, Johanna?" This time Marcus was the one to talk, and I had to force myself back from taking my fist and meeting it with his jaw.

Like Michael had looked earlier, a sinister grin was plastered across his face, a smile gleaming in his eyes. He knew Michael was going to do this. He had asked him to. It made perfect sense.

Michael had never been to fond of me, and since Marcus wasn't to happy with my pregnancy, he took advantage of Michael and did things the hard way. "Johanna, you had to see something." Calum sighed, Michael giving him a hateful glare before rolling his eyes.

"She said she saw nothing, get over it." Luke's hand disappeared from around my waist, which had held me up for support but was soon taken over by Ashton, who lightly wrapped his arm around my waist, making sure I didn't fall over.

"Where were you, Michael?" Luke growled, the veins in his neck prominent. "With her." He rolled his eyes, pointing over Luke's shoulder to myself. "If you were with her, then who did this?" Luke was getting angrier by the second, and Michael's sarcastic comebacks were not helping in any way, shape or form.

"Like she said, I don't know. I didn't see them." He shrugged, Calum's eyes narrowing in his direction.

Marcus seemed to be getting joyful of the fight breaking out, hense why he did nothing but lean against the wall with his arms folded across his buff chest.

"Liar!" Luke shouted, his hands clenching into fists at his side. "You had to see someone Michael, I damn well know it." Again, Michael just shrugged, and within the time period it took him to do that, Luke had him pressed against the wall, his hands tightly gripping the collar of his shirt.

"You didn't protect her." Luke spat, Ashton's large hand rubbing soothing shapes on my back. "It's not my job." Michael hissed back, my hand clenching my stomach.

"You," He stuttered, the back of Luke's neck growing red, Calum rushing to my other side to balance out my stability. "You did this to her!" Luke's cries and anger blended, causing nothing but a terrifying Luke and a scared looking Michael.

It was then Michael said nothing, and Luke didn't hesitate to swing. You could hear the sound of Luke's fist colliding with his jaw, and I only had wished it could have been me to do that. Luke straddled Michaels limp body, his fists smashing into his face one at a time. The scene had looked to familiar, felt to familiar, and caused me to shrink back.

Calum and Ashton had assumed I was scared, which in all fairness, I was. But I had felt worse pain then before, and it was causing me to fumble.

It felt as if I was drowning. Everything around me became silent, and I felt as if I was floating. My head was pounding, and my stomach had felt like it was being stabbed over and over until the point I couldn't stand and I collapsed.

Luke had stopped once the faint sound of my name was called, Calum doing all he could to hold me upright.

"Jo," Luke muttered, rushing over to my aid, his eyes widen in fear. "Did they stab you?" His hand rose from the cement to be covered in blood, Calum's grip on me tightening.

I started crying.

It was really the only thing I could do. I cried and I cried until I forced myself to speak. "No Luke," I shook my head. "It's the baby."