| chapter one |

" I was ready to watch the world end with you

" I was ready to watch the world end with you. " - Elliot Beck

── •✧• ──

THE DARKNESS brought Zaiya peace, the silence of night a sweet lullaby as she followed the twinkling map of the stars, getting lost in the flow of time. She was risking it all being here, but she couldn't let her guilt consume much more of her conscience. Zaiya had to say goodbye, some form of closure from those she cared for most. Risking her freedom was worth it.

"You know, I'm surprised you came." Tony Stark spoke to Zaiya's back, words sounding harsher than she was ready for. Zaiya had barely been here five minutes, at least hoping to get some nice words in before she left Tony and the Avengers behind.

"Figured we needed some closure. I owe you that much." Zaiya responded, her eyes not leaving the stars, too scared to look at the disappointed look on Tony's face.

"Yeah, have a feeling it won't make my split lip heal any faster." Tony responded rather bluntly.

Zaiya's tug flicked over her own split lip, the sweet, metallic taste still present. 

"At least we're even. Right?" Zaiya said, turning around and finally looking into Tony's defeated eyes.

Tony's eyes glanced at her bruises and bloodied features, the raw wounds still present from their fight. The two fought violently, Tony unbelievably overwhelmed from the combined forces of herself, Steve Rogers and The Winter Soldier. 

"Where you goin'?" Tony asked, rapidly changing the subject.

"You know I won't tell you that. For my protection and others." Zaiya mumbled, hating how the words felt on her tongue. Her heart said tell him, trust him. Yet her brain yelled otherwise.

"So with Barnes, then?" 

Silence. 

"When your power is held and manipulated like a puppet, you need someone there to pick up the pieces. It's what I wanted and wished I had all those years ago. I'll be damned if I don't be that someone to someone who deserves it." Zaiya defended, not caring to hide it from him.

"Deserves it?"

"Don't, Tony. You understand why, just as well as you understand why I didn't sign the Accords. I'm not repeating myself. Please don't take it personal, I am sorry."

In that moment, Tony was unsure as to why he originally decided to convince her to stay, to battle against world governments to keep her safe. She was self righteous through and through, and he knew she didn't want to stay regardless. He was talking to a brick wall. It only made his spirit deflate further, his ego now beyond bruised. Tony certainly had enough talking to stubborn mules for the rest of his life, the less spandex and gaudy vibranium shields the better.

"I'm sorry, Tony. About it all." Zaiya repeated, getting to the root of what she wanted to say.

Tony, in the deepest parts of his heart forgave her at that very moment. After all these years, he understood her better than most and he couldn't tear this bridge down. Perhaps he was too quick to anger about it all. As his train of thought chugged along, he was quickly reminded of Barnes. Rage began to creep back through his veins. All too soon he was back at that bunker, staring down the very woman in front of him with some amount of disdain.