| chapter eight |

" Falling in love is not rational

" Falling in love is not rational. It's madness. A beautiful, wonderful, moment of magnificent insanity. " - Michael Faudet

── •✧• ──

ZAIYA'S GAZE was drawn to the magnificent display of lightning in the dark, cloudy sky. Enjoying watching the chaotic paths they travelled. She was the epitome of a wreck; she was upset, angry, confused, and concerned. Zaiya had an awful feeling that the Ancient One wouldn't live to see the sunrise, the very thought made Zaiya sob. Everything hurt, and the morphine dripping into her veins was barely helping, or so she thought.

She did look better, the colour had returned to her skin, but the cracks remained. Her larger cuts and bruises were properly treated, but the stitches in her cheek were becoming increasingly irritating. Her golden eyes had even regained some of their bright, adoring colour. Zaiya was starting to look more like herself. She, on the other hand, didn't feel it.

And then there was Stephen.

Mordo's soul was like a bright flame, never wavering even in the harshest of storms. She'd never change it and didn't want nor care to. But Stephen cut a little deeper than she dared to admit. Part of her wanted to sit him down and delve deep into her past, explaining what and who she was, but the other part knew he didn't deserve to know. Who is he to her? What made her think he deserved more than Tony, Wanda, or Steve? She couldn't even write an email to her closest friends, and yet here she was, falling apart at the seams over a man she'd only known for little more than a year.

It was pathetic.

As if Stephen was aware that he was being thought of, he walked slowly into Zaiya's room, his red cloak framing his defined face.

"She's gone." He said curtly, his sadness evident in his tone. Zaiya's face turned sour, her bottom lip quivered and her brow furrowed. Her head moved slowly in a nod, before tears ran down her face. They wouldn't stop once they started.

Stephen stood by, unsure how to handle the situation. He felt bad about his actions, and he wasn't sure if Zaiya was worth trusting or working with. He couldn't, however, ignore the Ancient One's final words. He couldn't ignore all the good Zaiya was and had proven to be. In reality, she was just a blank page in Stephen's book that he wanted filled with the missing words and paragraphs he didn't have the pleasure of reading.

"Let's go." Zaiya said, taking a deep breath in loudly.

"You can't." Stephen responded, brows furrowed.

"You are in no position to tell me what I can and can't do. We're going." Before getting out of her hospital bed, Zaiya grabbed her IV tubes and ripped them from her arms. Her outer layer of dark green robes was missing, clearly too torn and filthy to save for her personal items. She was only wearing a black undershirt and dark green pants, which had a few tears in them.