| chapter thirteen |

" 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

" 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. " - Alfred Lord Tennyson

•◇•

|| Mature Content Ahead ||

THE DARK Dimension was vast, deadly, and alluring at the same time. If it weren't for the awful truth behind it, the patterns and colours of fallen universes were almost beautiful. Zaiya held Stephen's hand across the Dark Dimension while he explored and examined its depths. The biggest source of worry was letting the Dark Dimension in and reuniting with Dormammu. It had to be just enough for Zaiya to connect with, but not so much that it was exploited and the universe fell apart. They did have a plan to help Zaiya into the Dark Dimension, similar to how they traversed the Mirror Dimension. Zaiya was able to locate texts about reclaiming one's magic, Stephen had to explain it to her in a way she could understand.

She wasn't wholly unaware of the Mystic Arts' magic, but she didn't actively participate in it. But she didn't have much of a choice now.

As Zaiya's hands moved in front of her, Stephen stepped in front of her. Small green sparkles formed in the air between them as one arm moved delicately in a circle. They'd been at it for a couple hours, with Zaiya still nowhere near a complete portal.

"You need to slow down." Stephen said, observing her movements.

Zaiya did not respond or alter her motions. She needed to do it.

"Zaiya." Stephen spoke, his tone low.

No response. No change.

"Zaiya!"

She jumped in response, her focus shattered and her shoulders dropped. Her annoyance had reached new heights. She didn't like keeping count, but months had passed. Months passed with only a smidgeon of her old power and none of the new. Stephen's teaching technique wasn't always the best, and she was exhausted, empty, and weak.

"You need to slow down." Stephen repeated.

Zaiya's rage erupted, her eyes turning a sickly green colour and smoke billowing from behind her.

"I can't slow down! I'm sick of being told I need to slow down when it's already been too long!" Zaiya yelled, clenching her fists.

"Zaiya, this isn't going to happen overnight."

"No shit!" Zaiya yelled back, her face grimaced with anger.

"Zaiya-"

"No! Stop saying my name like you pity me! Don't even pretend to understand what this is! I am loosing everything and I can't see myself getting it back!"