| chapter fifty six |

" A single lie discovered is enough to create doubt in every truth exposed

" A single lie discovered is enough to create doubt in every truth exposed. "

── •✧• ──

THE FOUR of them still stood on one of the many roofs of New York's skyline. Zaiya flexed her still wounded hand, not particularly enjoying the sensation of the cracking dried blood. The meagre bandage of multiple serviettes was stained a deep crimson red, and it was making her hand itch. As she brought a hand to scratch underneath her bandages, Wong spoke up silently towards the engaged couple.

"There could be more creatures coming for her." Wong said, making Zaiya's eyes fall onto the girl again.

There had been somewhat of an awkward silence following Zaiya's gripe on Stephen's gloves, like the joking mood wasn't appropriate for the situation at hand.

"The power is dangerous enough in the hands of a kid, imagine if a real threat acquired it." Stephen said quickly.

Zaiya's face was one of disbelief. Her brows risen and her mouth slightly ajar. Immediately as the tone shifted again, the girl took cautious steps backwards. Zaiya, took a deep sigh and stepped forward delicately, blocking both Stephen and Wong from view.

"What's your name?" Zaiya asked quietly, keeping a soft gaze onto the girls face.

"America Chavez."

"America. It's a lovely name. Listen, we want to help you. There's a place we can take you that will offer you protection, it's called Kamar-Taj. Come with us." Zaiya said softly, as though she was scared to break glass.

America paused for a moment, thinking deeply about her options. As her brown eyes drifted away from the silver haired woman, she found the anticipating eyes of Doctor Strange.

"How do I know he won't betray me like last time?" She asked, voice shaken.

"You've got me this time." Zaiya beamed, causing America to smile softly.

Another silence fell over them, each problem being solved as fast as their brains could power through them.

"What do we do with him?" Wong asked, referring to the corpse of another Strange.

With a clear of his throat, Stephen turns around and begins to unearth a layer of brick, revealing the soft, slightly damp soil underneath.

"You can't really be serious, Stephen?" Zaiya asked, realising what his answer to the problem was.

"That's gonna violate an ordinance." Wong mumbled, watching along with Zaiya as the Strange's body was delicately covered and lifted into the air.