| chapter twenty one |

" If by my life or death I can protect you, I will

" If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. " - J.R.R. Tolkien

•◇•

ZAIYA REFUSED to move, her body stiff and unyielding. The reality that faced her outside the Sanctum's doors, the mere thought sent her on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Only her breathing and her erratic heartbeat could be heard. Stephen's tight grip was the only relief she had, and he had noticed her trembling body.

Zaiya just came to when she heard numerous people screaming, followed by loud metal smashes and angry car horns. She had two choices in front of her: turn away from everything right now, including Stephen and her friends, and never look back, or go out there and face Thanos with all she had. Her blood began to boil with rage, and her breathing became shallow. Her answer became evident as her gaze shifted to a bright emerald.

Thanos had to get through her before he could harm anybody she cared about. Over her lifeless body.

•◇•

Zaiya was the first to approach Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian, feeling secure with the knowledge that she had a strong team behind her. Her frown was deep in her face, and she was determined to kill the two in front of her.

"I'll say this once, leave." Zaiya spoke, her tendrils surrounding her form in a blurring dance.

"Ah, dear sister. So this is where you hide yourself?" Ebony Maw replied, Cull Obsidian chuckling beside him.

"I won't repeat it Ebony. Get out." Zaiya growled, her tendrils beginning to glow an ominous green.

"Or what?"

"I'll kill you where you stand."

Ebony Maw started laughing, and his cackling echoed throughout the barren streets. Zaiya's mouth twitched in rage, her fingers dancing in complex patterns to position her tendrils in an assault stance.

"Look at you! Don't tell me you care for these animals!? Oh, how a Child of Thanos has fallen." Ebony Maw mocked, laughter still present in his nasally voice.

"I'm sorry. Listen to the lady. Earth is closed today! You better pack it up and get outta here!" Tony yelled, now standing next to Zaiya's floating form, her tendrils holding her slightly off the ground.

"Stonekeeper. Do these chattering animals speak for you?" Ebony asked, looking past the pair to Stephen.

"Certainly not. I speak for myself. You're trespassing in this city and on this planet." Stephen spoke, taking strides to stand next to Zaiya, his hands now illuminated with a bright orange circles, taking an offensive pose.