| chapter fifty |

" My soul and your soul are forever entangled

" My soul and your soul are forever entangled. " - N.R. Hart

── •✧• ──

STEPHEN FUMBLED over his tie, desperately trying to get his nerves in check. The couple were going out tonight, properly. Fancy dress and all. It had been the plan for weeks, and Stephen couldn't believe it was already here. He eventually gave up, weaving his hands away from his chest, his tie automatically bringing itself together nearly.

Zaiya had to scramble to find a dress, she tried to contact Wanda but for whatever reason, she was completely unreachable. So, she went to Pepper for help. The two went shop the day previous, Zaiya having no clue as to what she was looking for. She ha had never owned a dress before, often too impractical to wear on the daily when the world needs saving every other week...or at least that's how it felt.

Zaiya sat in her own room, Pepper fussing over Zaiya's hair whilst Morgan played with some of her toys on the floor. Sweat coated Zaiya's top lip, the heat from the hair curler getting to her. Pepper seemed more excited about their dinner than the couple. She had this smug smile on her face the entire time, lowly humming to herself as she worked away. Zaiya wasn't particularly nervous, compared to her significant other in their master bedroom.

She was so blissfully unaware.

"So...where is he taking you?" Pepper hummed, still working through the curls.

"A restaurant downtown, that's all he told me."

"Does he seem...nervous?"

"Uh, no? Although...he really hasn't talked to me much all day."

"Interesting. Morgan sweetie, can you get mummy the bobby pins?" Pepper smiled, watching as her daughter trodden over to Zaiya's desk.

"You look really pretty, Aunty Z." Morgan said, smiling brightly at the silver haired woman in front of her.

"Thanks, sweets. Your mum is pretty good at this stuff." Zaiya said, slightly pinching Morgan's cheek.

Pepper giggled, taking the bobby pins from her daughter and pinning of some of Zaiya's hair away from her face. Soft curls cascaded down her shoulder and back, the side pieces pinned backwards to stay off her face. Zaiya felt...special? Never before had she done anything like this, sure, there was the occasional party at the Avengers Tower but it was never this fancy.

"Thank you, Pepper. Truly." Zaiya said, turning around to face her.

"No problem! Hey, you should visit soon, okay? Morgan misses you. I miss you."