| chapter fifty one |

" To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing

" To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing. " - Dorothy Thompson

── •✧• ──

THE TOWN of Westview. Reduced to a husk under both Zaiya and Stephen's watch. They were both appalled, utterly thrown for a loop. Zaiya had ranted on and on, already being gone from the Sanctum for many hours to either find Wanda or yell at S.W.O.R.D. for keeping something like this under wraps.

Stephen tried his best to put together the puzzle pieces, working tirelessly with Wong.

"I don't understand how we missed this hex." Stephen muttered, rubbing his hands over his face.

"Wanda's magic is complicated. Chaos magic. It earns its name." Wong responded, eyeing the Globe amongst the doors to the other Sanctums. "Have you heard from Zaiya?"

"Nothing."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"Both." Stephen answered, wondering where his fiancé was.

── •✧• ──

Zaiya slammed the glass door shut, glass shattering behind her. S.W.O.R.D was absolutely useless, not only did they hold all the information close to their chests, they also didn't know where Wanda went. She was at her wits end. She had no idea where to even start looking. Her friend was out in the world, with no where to go and a target on her back. Somehow, Zaiya felt responsible.

Was she so focused on her own well-being she forgot to check in with those she considered the most important to her? Her life had been such a whirlwind of events she tried not to blame herself...but no matter how she looked at it, the guilt ate away at her heart.

Zaiya stood out in the fresh air for a few minutes, wracking her brain for any knowledge or clue she could grasp. Where would Wanda go? She cursed aloud, before willing a portal in front of her, sling ring tight along her fingers. She needed Stephen's advice, so she opted to go back to the Sanctum.

As soon as her feet touched the tiled floor, she sensed something off. The energy...was wrong. Her golden eyes scanned the atrium, checking every piece of furniture, anything that slightly drifted with movement. They narrowed, ears beginning to pick up the faintest of thuds. Upstairs.

Flames erupted from her shoulders, travelling down her arms and into the palms of her hands. Tendrils coiled around her biceps, ready to strike. Slowly and carefully, she began her ascent up the stairs. She didn't even get half way up the steps before was she sought stood at the top, leaning over the railing.