| chapter thirty six |

" Be willing to lose a battle in order to win the war

" Be willing to lose a battle in order to win the war. " - H. Jackson Brown Jr.

•◇•

ONE BY one the army fell around her, black flames dancing through the battlefield along her feet. Despite it all, the enemy kept coming in waves. The black tendrils slithered through the air and the ground, intricately weaving through the feet and bodies of her allies to meet the numerous alien races they fought against.

Much to her pleasure, she found herself fighting alongside Bucky.

"It's good to see you! Despite the circumstances!" Zaiya yelled out, still fighting.

"When have the circumstances of us being together ever been favourable?" Bucky chided back, his eyes barely leaving the sight on his gun.

"Alright, smartass. You've been hanging out with Rocket too much!"

"Don't drag me into this!" Rocket yelled, cussing at the girl.

Zaiya laughed, continuing to fight alongside her comrades, the pain in her body a distant memory. Amongst the chaos of battle, a new plan flew into action. The stones needed to make its way across the battlefield and to Scott's van, and begin the mission to take the stones back to where they came from. If they didn't, no doubt the Ancient One would find someway to put her head on a stick. She inwardly cringed at the thought, before hoisting her body up into the sky with her tendrils. Her black eyes scanned the battlefield, death in every direction.

She snarled, before a bright flash of purple caught her eye. The sounds of battle seemed to silence, her gaze landing on Stephen for the second time. Yet, her body didn't move forward. She watched as Tony and Stephen clearly talked, her heart in her throat. She didn't have the time to think about their reunion at this moment. Zaiya took a deep breath, eyes now following T'Challa as he ran through the army expertly.

The view in front of her played like a chess game. Thanos had keen eyes everywhere, as the gauntlet bearer was soon taken down. Zaiya's black flames ignited harshly, her body hurtling towards the gauntlet. Out the corner of her eye, a comfortable, recognisable flash of red landed directly in front of Thanos.

Zaiya smirked, knowing Wanda had it more than covered. Before she could make it, the gauntlet began to move on its own. Her eyes found its weaver, Ebony Maw. T'Challa pounced, grabbing the gauntlet before being woven into the air by stones and dirt.

"T'Challa! The gauntlet! Now!" Zaiya yelled, tendrils lurching forward to catch the red hand.

Her coils caught it easily, before racing back to Zaiya in a flash. She noticed the presence of Peter Parker not too far away from her, her conscience telling her she had back up. She smiled lightly, before lurching herself forward through the air and onto the ground below. The impact created shockwaves, the first few waves of enemies flying backwards with howls tearing through their throats. Zaiya's legs pumped as fast as they could take her, tendrils working over time to keep the army off her as much as possible.