| chapter ten |

" It's an insane world but in it there is one sanity, the loyalty of old friends

" It's an insane world but in it there is one sanity, the loyalty of old friends. " - Ben Hur

── •✧• ──

ZAIYA WOULD be lying to herself if she said her and Stephen's encounters were pleasant. Sure, they had their moments, sharing a Sanctum together, doing menial tasks such as grocery shopping but she believed their issues stemmed from how much was left unsaid between them.

She thought about their fight within the walls she now called home, and how they "reconciled," kissed, and saved the world from disaster just hours later. It was far from ordinary. She knew Stephen's fury had gotten the best of him that day, just as it had hers, but she couldn't ignore what he said.

He had no idea who she was. He didn't understand a single part; he only knew the absolute minimum just as she wanted. Zaiya couldn't sit him down and explain everything; it was simply too hard for her. Plus, there were at least four other people who deserved it more. She'd only just gotten around to sending her emails a few weeks earlier. Wanda was overjoyed and eager to meet her as soon as possible. Tony was relieved to hear from her, despite his irritation. He even gave her an official invitation to their completed Avengers base, with a room reserved for her. She was on the verge of accepting it if it hadn't been for the responsibility she now bore in the New York Sanctum.

Whether he wanted to admit it or not, Stephen was grateful for Zaiya's assistance in comprehending and exploring Space and the worlds beyond. It helped him flesh out her character a little more, as well as keeping track of potential threats to world peace. It gradually filled in the pages he so sorely desired to read.

It was also a welcome diversion from her own problems. Her bond with her magic was fraying at the edges. She didn't want to admit it, but when she attempted even the most basic of tasks, everything blew up in her face. Despite the fact that Kaecilius had died only a few weeks before, he still tormented her. She considered returning to Kamar-Taj for assistance many times late at night, but she knew she would have to explain everything to Stephen, and so explain too much. She couldn't decide if she wanted to protect Stephen or not.

She wouldn't let it all come tumbling down until she reached her breaking point.

── •✧• ──

Zaiya's favourite spot was the Rotunda of Gateways since she could be anywhere she chose at any moment. It was also a wonderful area for her to practise her skills away from Strange's prying gaze. Zaiya sat amongst the sea breeze, toying with tufts of green smoke, desperately trying to construct something substantial, somewhere along the Atlantic Ocean's chilly, damaged shoreline. Even her tendrils appeared to be miniature sprouting plants, withering back into her flesh as they fell in reverse. It made her groan, and she turned her gaze to the sea, letting the smoke to dissipate.