| chapter forty two |

" We understand one another

" We understand one another. It is always yearning, sighing for something it cannot have; and so am I. " - Greta Garbo

•◇•

ZAIYA WAS conflicted. As she stood in the lower halls of ancient Sanctum's, her arms crossed over her chest as she darted her eyes between the Doctor and the young man, thoughts flying through her mind. She always had every confidence in Stephen's abilities...and forgetting a whole party seemed to be evidence enough that the spell worked. Yet something gnawed at her, deep within her subconscious that something was bound to go wrong.

Zaiya stared at young Peter Parker, the hopeful gleam in his eyes enough to send most of her worries away. Perhaps she was wrong to think they were rushing into this, the spell had been done before to success so why would this be any different? She took a deep breath, as the spell was now complete.

"I'm ready." Peter said, taking a brave, deep breath.

"It was nice knowing you Spider-Man." Stephen jested, before weaving his hands expertly.

"Wait, excuse me?"

And there it was, the gnawing increasing tenfold. A dark hand glooming over the silver-haired woman's heart as panic began to set in.

"Peter, the entire world will forget that you...are Spider-Man. That means everyone." Zaiya explained, taking delicate steps towards the boy.

"Everyone?!" Peter repeated, his voice now shaking with fear. "Can't some people still know?"

"That's not how the spell works and it's very difficult and dangerous to change it mid-casting." Stephen said, breaking his concentration to join the conversation.

"So my girlfriend's just going to forget everything we've been through? I mean, is she even gonna be my girlfriend?!" Peter exclaimed, talking rather quickly.

"I doubt she was with you just because you were Spider-Man, Peter." Zaiya comforted, now standing next to him.

"I don't know! Maybe she was! I really hope not...but what if-"

"Alright, fine." Stephen curtly said, swinging his arms around to reweave the spell. "Everyone in the world's gonna forget you're Spider-Man except your girlfriend."

"Stephen-" Zaiya began.

"Thank you so much! Oh my god, Ned. Ned!"

The orange runes that floated around the trio began to shake and tremble, its once peaceful chimes becoming distorted and broken. Zaiya's keen eyes watched them bounce, brows furrowing in concern.

"What is a Ned?" Stephen asked, desperately trying to hold onto the incantation.

"He's my best friend so it's really important to me that Ned knows!"