| chapter fifty three |

" Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath

" Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath. " - Eckhart Toille
── •✧• ──

STEPHEN'S GASP for breath shattered them both awake. Zaiya reached for his arm, holding on gently as his lungs worked over time to calm himself down. She took deep breaths herself, her own body in a state of shock from her rather abrupt awakening.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, I'm here." Zaiya cooed, shuffling around to get into his eye line.

"I'm okay...just...bad dream." Stephen panted, rubbing his face with his hands.

"Figured." Zaiya said, combing his hair off his sweaty face with her hand.

The two let the silence calm both of them for a moment, holding onto each other for comfort's sake.

"We should get ready." Stephen hummed.

"We should."

── •✧• ──

As Zaiya got dressed into her emerald green dress, her mind wandered off to her own dream that oddly haunted her mind. By no means a bad dream, but something about it seemed awfully sad. A melancholy lingering over her like a dark storm cloud, ready to unleash its downpour and wash away everything in sight.

They had a boy, barely over the age of five. His eyes were blue like his fathers, yet his hair was already a gleaming glow of silver. He would run and play in the park, whilst Zaiya watched from the sidelines. However, one presence was missing. Stephen. When her mind would drift to her husband, something told her he was already gone. Had been gone for a considerable amount of time. It was a dream with seemingly everything she wanted. Yet she couldn't help the wave of relief that washed over her when she awoke next to Stephen.

Another key feature she seemed to find most peculiar, was her own hair was dyed back to the darkest shades of black. The silver long gone.

Once she was ready, she made her way out their bathroom and back into the bedroom, spotting Stephen standing in front of the mirror.

"If you're about to use magic to tie your tie, come here." Zaiya spoke, Stephen turning around.

Stephen, defeated, walked over quickly. As per usual, she looked stunningly beautiful. The dress was simple, yet elegant. Her hair was left down, it's natural bouncy waves cascading down her shoulders and back.

"You ever going to dye it black again?" He asked suddenly.

"What? I thought you didn't like it." Zaiya asked, gripping the two ends of his tie and working to bring it together. Her mind immediately drifted to her dream, hoping the question was mere coincidence.