| chapter sixteen |

" They've promised that dreams can come true - but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too

" They've promised that dreams can come true - but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too. " - Oscar Wilde

•◇•

ZAIYA HAD to acknowledge that she and Stephen were terrible at communicating about anything outside of Sanctum business. They couldn't talk much as she finished cleaning up Mjolnir's mess and Stephen prepared dinner before he was needed at Kamar-Taj once more. Zaiya went to her room late at night, but her gaze couldn't help but wander down the corridor, the deep crimson mahogany double doors of the Master's Bedroom enticing her. Her fingers lingered on her doorknob, unsure what to do.

Would it be weird to fall asleep in his bed? Is he likely to get offended? Were they okay with sharing a bed together...in a different meaning than the one they'd already crossed off the list? Zaiya slammed her forehead against her door, her mind racing with questions. She should have just asked, but there were so many distractions. This was such a...human thing to be worried about. Zaiya almost wanted to scoff at herself, not quite believing how flustered she was becoming over a matter so trivial.

Given that she didn't really ask for permission in the first place, she eventually decided that sleeping in her own bed would be the best option. The door squeaked open, and a small lamp placed on her nightstand flickered on. As she got ready for bed, the silence was almost deafening. She immediately braided her hair, changed into a plain black tank top and matching shorts, and crawled beneath the covers, already missing Stephen's warmth.

"This sucks." Zaiya admitted to herself, taking a big breath and staring up at the ceiling. She wished she got to talk to Stephen before he left. Not that she was expecting any sort of title or recognition of their relationship status but leaving it unsaid brought her the slightest amount of discomfort. Her gaze was drawn to the clock on her nightstand, which read 4:27 a.m. Spirits. And here she was, all set to pay Tony and his friends a visit at the Avengers Compound today. After all, Wanda deserved an update.

She rolled over to her side and closed her eyes, attempting to switch off her thoughts. The texture and lighting of the room changed in an instant as a sudden burst of wind swept by her face.

"You really have to tone that down." Zaiya said to him as he too got ready for bed.

"It's efficient." He argued, slipping off his boots.

"Yet you still take the time to remove every article of clothing the hard way."

"You could help."

His cloak, as amusingly pulled itself from Stephen's shoulders and left the room, returning to its glass cabinet for the night. Zaiya smirked as she climbed out of his king bed and made her way over.