| chapter fifty eight |

" Without sacrifice, true love is incomprehensible

" Without sacrifice, true love is incomprehensible. " - Toba Beta

── •✧• ──

AMIDST THE bustling chaos of the courtyard, Zaiya found her solace. She tuned out the frantic preparations for war happening all around her, focusing solely on her power. With every careful inhale, she absorbed the gentle touch of the sun's warmth on her skin and the soothing caress of the calm breeze tousling her silver hair.

As Zaiya opened her obsidian eyes, she noticed the sun sinking lower in the sky, casting a golden glow across the horizon. Standing alone in the center of the army, she could sense an impending shift in the atmosphere. A foreboding cloud emerged, gradually obscuring the sun's radiance and casting an eerie shadow over Kamar-Taj.

In that moment, as the dark cloud loomed overhead, Stephen and Wong approached Zaiya. Stephen, with a reassuring gesture, placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Wong stood beside them, a steadfast presence emanating from him.

The darkness consumed them, turning the once bright day into a eerie night. 

Blood red crimson began to bleed from the cloud, the entrance of The Scarlet Witch.

"Choose your words wisely. The fate of the Multiverse may depend on it." Wong muttered, causing Zaiya to hit his arm in annoyance.

"Got it." Stephen mused, pursing his lips in annoyance. "No pressure, then."

Stephen took one step, before Zaiya gripped his wrist.

"Not you. If we fall, I will be the first. She does not win today. No matter what." Zaiya said, looking at Stephen with every ounce of love she had.

With a gentle smile, Stephen leaned down and tenderly kissed Zaiya's lips. In that fleeting moment, a wave of warmth washed over her, and she exhaled the tension she hadn't even realized she was holding. 

With her heart pounding, Zaiya boldly stepped out onto the precipice. Her tendrils gracefully lifted her into the sky, bringing her face to face with Wanda once again.

"All this for a child you met yesterday." Wanda spoke, lip snarled in anger.

"Wanda, this is for your own good. Taking a life and reaping the benefits is not you. I fought the Accords, for you. Because I knew you. The woman I see now, is not that." Zaiya pleaded, speaking softly and slowly.

Wanda's eyes softened, before her gaze steeled up again. 

"Please. I understand the sacrifices you have made-"

"I blew a hole through the head of the man I loved, and it meant nothing." Wanda snapped, her eyes brimming with tears. "Do not speak to me of sacrifice, Zaiya."

Silenced, Zaiya felt a surge of energy as her golden eyes regained their luminosity. In a daring move, Wanda floated closer and closer, now directly in front of her.