| chapter fifty four |

" Be the fire to your darkness

" Be the fire to your darkness. "

── •✧• ──

FOR ONE thing she was certain. She was over fighting weird, octopus like creatures for the rest of her life. The bulbous eye tracked her and her fiancé's movement accurately, it's twisting, oozing limbs swatting, smacking and thudding through the streets to get its offensive measures against them. What was more peculiar to both of them however, was the creatures absolutely necessity and determination to get its slimy grip on a young girl.

"Do I know you?" Stephen asked, as Zaiya worked to set up a flame wall to hopefully protect them all.

As a stunned silence met the two, a shocked gasp left Zaiya's mouth as the monster simply walked through the flames like nothing. It's reddish pinkish flesh exposed and burnt, it stormed forward, a shill cry leaving its form. It was willing to go through torturous pain to get its job done...

Within the moment of confusion and almost fear running through Zaiya's mind, a singular tentacle grabbed Stephen and flung him into a nearby cafe, Zaiya screaming his name in worry. Despite every muscle in her body wanting to run over and get him up, the girl that stood behind her was in much more need of protection.

"You stay behind me, got it?!" Zaiya yelled, sparing a single glance towards the girl.

She was met with a furious nod of acceptance, her young features littered with fear. Zaiya turned, a scowl on her face as she let her eyes turn black. As the monsters tentacles lurched forwards, Zaiya's own blew past with such speed and ferocity they made slight whistling noises as they pierced the air. As she gained the upper hand, Zaiya began to puncture multiple points on the creatures body. Despite the blood and screams that poured out, it didn't stop moving forward.

This was possessive. Any other living creature would cut its loses and run away.

Zaiya, unsure how to progress whilst protecting the young teen, was running out of options. She can't exactly decimate an entire New York City block, and she couldn't kill the girl either. Protection it was then. In a flash, Zaiya hurled tendril after tendril towards her foe, overwhelming it for a brief moment.

"Run! I'm right behind you!" Zaiya yelled, hoping the girl obeyed her.

As the monster swam amongst her tendrils, Zaiya used her strength to levitate the creature skyward. With one final push, it flew backwards at least two blocks. Taking every second as something precious, Zaiya spun on her heel and grabbed the wrist of the denim jacketed girl, and began to sprint in the other direction. Her lips said nothing and she ducked and weaved through the streets, using the quieter alleyways to her advantage. She was hoping to loop back around and get Stephen up again, hopefully portaging their way out of here.