| chapter seven |

" Loving you was the most exquisite form of self destruction

" Loving you was the most exquisite form of self destruction. " - d.j

── •✧• ──

STEPHEN HAD many thoughts going through his mind after returning from his old workplace and seeing his beloved Christine. It was overwhelming how much Kaecilius had said to him. He wasn't persuaded by his agenda; nothing was worth the cost of human life, especially not for a personal agenda, in his opinion. And, if Zaiya is to be believed, Kaecilius was a moron who had no idea what he was talking about.

Zaiya.

Most of all, he was conflicted about her. She was truly a mystery to him at this point. He didn't know how far her ties to the Dark Dimension and Dormammu extended. It's not that she ever outright lied, but it was conveniently omitted. Maybe staying close to home was the best option for him after all. He had been missing Christine terribly. He had no idea why he was even comparing the two.

Him and Christine had their moment, some would call it love. Zaiya and him never had that. He wasn't even sure if he wanted that. This was all becoming too much too quickly.

Strange walked through the halls, making the grim discovery that he had indeed killed a man. It made him upset and angry. He never ever wanted this. He was beginning to question if coming to Kamar-Taj was even worth it.

Eventually, he made his way back up the stairs, discovering Kaecilius and Zaiya gone.

"Zaiya!?" Stephen yelled, looking around frantically.

"I'm here, Strange." Zaiya's soft voice came from behind him.

His body spun, seeing Zaiya sitting in one of the broken glass cases, Mordo by her side. Somehow, she looked even worse than before.

"You're okay?" Zaiya asked, looking to him.

"A relative term. But yeah, I'm okay." Stephen replied, Zaiya telling he was rather distant and lost in his own thoughts.

"The Cloak of Levitation. It came to you." Mordo said, amazed by Stephen's relic coming to him so quickly.

"No minor feat." The Ancient One spoke then, coming from behind Zaiya, a delicate hand on her unwounded shoulder. "It's a fickle thing."

"He's escaped." Stephen asked.

"Kaecilius?" The Ancient One followed.

"I heard him leave. He can fold space and matter at will." Zaiya answered, looking towards his broken bonds.

"He folds matter outside the Mirror Dimension...in the real world?" The Ancient One asked, her tone getting serious.

It took a lot of effort to accomplish this. It took a lot of concentration and a strong connection to your surroundings. It also meant that Kaecilius was a greater threat than The Ancient One realised. If he was willing to mend matter and space in the real world, it meant that his means of obtaining what he desired was dangerous for them and the world.