| chapter nine |

" Fate decides who comes into your life, your heart decides who stays

" Fate decides who comes into your life, your heart decides who stays. "

── •✧• ──

HONG KONG had already fallen, and Zaiya's skin was covered in goosebumps. The symbol on her head was bright red once more, and the purple along her fractured face was now beaming brightly. Her eyes flickered between gold and purple, but the pain had subsided to annoyance.

"We're too late." Zaiya said, taking a few steps forward towards the familiar yet foreign feeling of the Dark Dimension "He'll come, and there's nothing we can do."

"Not necessarily." Stephen said after a moment, his face scowled in deep concentration. Before weaving the signs to open the Eye of Agamotto.

'You can't be serious." Zaiya said, looking to him with a bewildered look on her face. Here goes nothing.

People moved in weird ways, their limbs contorting and bending as if they were broken. Street signs and cars repaired themselves in a flurry, flames extinguished in a plume of smoke, and puddles of water splashed downwards, rippling back into a state of serenity. Moments before killing Stephen, Kaecilius flew backwards, powerless against the will of time.

Zaiya rapidly became ill as she felt her own body begin to move against her will, succumbing to the force of time herself. Strange reached out his hands to her before she could become too lost in the midst of it all, allowing her to restore control of her own body and senses. Mordo was also brought back, giving them the best chance they have to stop Dormammu from taking over their home. She nodded in thanks.

"The spell's working. We've got a second chance!" Stephen said, gnawing them on into a sprint down the street.

They rushed through Kaecilius and the wreckage that was slowly repairing itself. Zaiya couldn't believe Stephen had managed to make the magic work, especially on such a massive scale. He did astound her.

However, a wrench was thrown into the works when Kaecilius and his Zealots broke free from Stephen's spell and attacked the trio from behind. Kaecilius charged directly at Stephen, knocking him out. A female Zealot brought a bent street pole to her face before Zaiya could pull him to his feet, forcing her to tumble sideways from the power of the hit. She was asking for it now.

Zaiya jumped to her feet immediately, whipping black tendrils from her left palm at breakneck speed, wrapping themselves around the street pole still in the Zealot's grip. She threw the street pole out of her hands in a flash of thought. The throw acquired momentum before spinning around and hurdling at such a high speed that it was hard to avoid. It struck the female Zealot hard before returning to its other fractured half and reclaiming its proper place on the street. Zaiya took advantage of the opportunity and dashed towards the winded Zealot, swinging her leg in her face.