| chapter forty nine |

" If you don't sacrifice for what you want, what you want becomes the sacrifice

" If you don't sacrifice for what you want, what you want becomes the sacrifice. "

── •✧• ──

SCAFFOLDING FELL all around them, some hurtling quickly down through the air, lucky to be saved. Zaiya was gracefully carried by Doctor Octavius, who descended as fast as he could down the scaffolding, which bent and snapped violently as it began to fall away from the Statue of Liberty. Her golden eyes tried to keep tabs on Stephen, knowing full well that it was him against the very fabric of reality at this very moment.

Time seemed to slow around her, orange swirls danced in the sky. Another shockwave went hurtling outwards, beaming straight towards the night sky. Zaiya's eyes travelled upwards, watching chaos unfold in slow motion. The sky began to crack, deep violets piercing the sky. She watched on in horror, noticing Stephen's desperate attempts to hold back the chaos around them. Thunder rumbling throughout, sending shivers down her spine.

Just as the sun began to peek through the never ending purple abyss, her feet met solid ground once again. Her eyes darted straight back upwards, just seeing Stephen levitating above the torch of the statue.

"Spirits." She grumbled, before dragging her tired body back upwards with as many tendrils as she could spare.

"I just got you down!" Doctor Octavious yelled, worried for her well-being.

"I know! Thank you!" Zaiya yelled back, not wasting any time in getting herself up there.

The guilty conscious was starting to creep its way back up, perhaps if she didn't side with Peter this mess wouldn't have happened...perhaps it could have been different. But the good that was done today was undeniable, all she could do was hope it was worth it. That somehow, someway, they could fix this problem too.

"Stephen!" Zaiya yelled as she neared the top, now using her hands and legs to hoist herself up when her tendrils didn't have the strength to.

"I can't stop it!" He yelled back, not making eye contact with her.

"There has to be something! Anything!"

"I'm trying!" Stephen proclaimed, getting annoyed.

Zaiya bit her lip, watching as the silhouettes of hundreds, if not thousands of people begin to burst through the sky.

"What's happening?!" The panicked voice of her Peter Parker spoke, landing beside her gracefully.

"They're starting to come through. I can't stop them." Stephen replied, voice shaken.

"There's gotta be something we could do! Can't you just cast the spell again? But the original way. Before I screwed it up!"

"We're too late for that! They're here. They're here because of you!"