| chapter twenty four |

" Abused patience turns to fury

" Abused patience turns to fury. " - Thomas Fuller

•◇•

TITAN, A once-mighty planet with a magnificent culture. Everyone in Space knew it was flourishing and booming. It's what added to the sadness of its demise. Zaiya's gaze was drawn to the numerous fallen constructions littering the orange dirt surface, which reminded her of her own home. She wondered if they were still the same...

She made cautious steps up to a higher vantage point, eager to see more. When it was just more of the same, her heart sank. She inhaled deeply before returning her gaze to the group behind her. The Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy are here to take on Thanos.

Her gaze was drawn to Peter Quill, Gamora's rumoured boyfriend. Her pupils constricted as she tried to recall as much as she could about the girl. When Thanos took Gamora into his care, she was still a child, and Zaiya had to leave before she could watch her grow up. Years had passed her by in a flash.

Stephen's eyes met Zaiya's and she offered him a faint smile. If Stephen said his heart wasn't in his throat, he would be lying. His eyes drank in every memory, every sentiment, and everything left unsaid between them as he looked at the woman in front of him. Here he was, staring at a goddess he adored with every fibre of his being but unable to do anything with it. He nearly yearned for a normal life, a future where he could have some type of future with Zaiya in some capacity. Yet, he knew he would never have met her if he had a normal life. Fate was frequently unkind.

Zaiya's heart stopped beating as she stared at Stephen, butterflies still buzzing in her core. She desired happiness with him more than anything else she had ever craved. He exuded stability, understanding, and...love. Zaiya's expression darkened, grief overtaking her. She lowered her head to the ground, vowing to defend not only the Time Stone but also Stephen with her life.

•◇•

Zaiya stood in front of Stephen, oblivious to the squabbling of the people below her. All she knew was that Stephen had elected to look forwards in time, despite repeated cautions in the works they had both read. It was against the laws, but Stephen felt it was vital. Wong was also not present to argue.

"Zaiya? He alright?" Tony inquired, peaking her interest. She was ready to say yes when the energy radiating from Stephen suddenly increased substantially. Her golden eyes returned to him, just catching him as he fell, her hands firmly grasping his shoulders.

"You're okay. It's okay. You're here." Zaiya whispered, Stephen's face waving over with relief as he made eye contact with her.

"Hey, what was that?" Peter asked, standing a little ways off.

"I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all possible outcomes of the coming conflict." Stephen responded, still trying to catch his breath.