| chapter twenty two |

" Love is not a feeling of happiness

" Love is not a feeling of happiness. Love is a willingness to sacrifice. " - Michael Novak

•◇•

ZAIYA WATCHED helplessly as Stephen and the Cloak of Levitation raced through the streets of New York. The cables that wrapped around her torso were quadrupled in number, just tight enough to restrict her breath intake and outflows to a minimum. Ebony was tormenting her now, obviously trying to keep her awake. Her silver strands were stained with her own scarlet blood, and her head was spinning. She could barely keep tabs on a familiar form that swung ahead of them, her head snapping to follow the now recognised Spider-Man swinging away with Stephen. 

Zaiya's heart stopped beating as she noticed the circular space ship in the air, its trademark blue beam now stretching down to grasp Stephen's lifeless figure midair. Zaiya fought her way through the wires, hardly moving.

"Fuck! Fuck you, Ebony!" Zaiya wheezed, Ebony simply ignored her, approaching the craft, along with Spider-Man and Zaiya. 

•◇•

Zaiya was now floating close to Stephen in the blue, foggy air, unable to move. One, because this cursed piece of space metal had only the best techniques to secure or confine someone across the known galaxy, and two, because several clear like daggers encompassed the duo, hovering close to Zaiya's skin. Some were ever so gently resting just firm enough to send stinging pains through her entire body. Ebony Maw saw Zaiya as the greatest threat, and if he could keep her at bay, obtaining the Time Stone would be a breeze.

"Do you really think that killing him would get you the Stone? It's protected by magic you couldn't even begin to understand." Zaiya spat, not caring for the increasing pressure of the daggers. 

Ebony Maw said nothing. 

Zaiya looked at Stephen with wide eyes after he gasped awake. His gaze glazed over Zaiya's beaten and bruised form for a minute as he regained his bearings.

"In all the time I've served Thanos, I have never failed him. If I were to reach our rendezvous on Titan, with the Time Stone still attached to your vaguely irritating person there would be judgement." Ebony Maw spoke lowly, inching ever closer to Stephen. 

Stephen's cheek was pierced by a single glass needle, the veins and blood shining through the white light that illuminated beneath his flesh.

"Give me...the Stone." Ebony whispered, needles moving closer and closer to Stephen.

"Ebony, enough. Please." Zaiya begged, now at wit's end. 

Maybe there was a moment when their forced sibling-like bond was meaningful. Zaiya didn't want to acknowledge it, but she disliked the idea of any kind of connection between herself and Thanos. The fact that she couldn't ignore it was probably the hardest part. And now she stood there, her past crashing into her future. And, unlike her future, she desired for the past to fall apart. To fade away and never make another appearance. She had rebuilt something excellent for herself by chance. As she had heard so many times on this little space rock she now called home, the third time was the charm.