| chapter forty one |

" A good deal of tyranny goes by the name of protection

" A good deal of tyranny goes by the name of protection. " - Crystal Eastman

•◇•

STEPHEN AND Zaiya walked arm in arm down the busy streets of New York, a couple of bags of groceries in each of their hands. The two talked about nothing in particular, simply enjoying the presence of one another's company...but mostly avoiding work for just a little while. 

The two walked slow, knowing they would be coming home to some form of chaos, either at home or some other universe. The two desperately wanted time to themselves, especially given their agreeance with one another about another life...it was proving all the more difficult.

A large, dense crowd of people caught Zaiya's attention, her golden eyes narrowing slightly. Her light footsteps came to a slow halt, making Stephen look back at her with concern. 

"Spider-Man's name is Peter Parker!" 

Zaiya gasped, fear striking her heart and breath being caught in her throat.

"That can't be good." Stephen mumbled, observing the crowd that now erupted into shouts and chaos. 

Her keen gaze found the very boy in question, not only plastered all over the screens but also on top of a light pole. In a flash, she handed Stephen the bag full of food and darted forwards. The crowd beneath Peter was now staring at him, pointing and yelling obscenities. They pushed around a young girl, who had a look of fear written all over her face. Zaiya's brows furrowed, as she soon joined the crowd and began to push people back.

"Peter!" Zaiya yelled out, causing the masked boy to flip around and run to her. 

Zaiya put two hands on his shoulders, and felt his body trembling. Her heart ached, the crowd going silent for just a moment.

"Are you his girlfriend?!" A man yelled behind Peter, his hands now on the young girl from before.

"Zaiya...I gotta..." Peter whimpered, flipping his head around desperately. 

"I know. Go. I got them." Zaiya comforted, giving his shoulder a squeeze.

Peter darted towards the girl he loved, wrapping her into his arms and getting people away from her. 

"Come on, kid. Let me see your face!" A curly haired woman demanded, bringing out fury from Zaiya.

"Get the fuck away from them! Now!" Zaiya yelled, taking two confident strides forward and putting herself between her and Peter. "All of you! Get lost!"

"Why don't you go back to your precious little Doctor who murdered my mother!" The same woman yelled, Zaiya becoming confused.

"And my daughter! He took them away from us all!" Another man yelled a few rows of people back, starting a chorus of voices all yelling the same thing. This was not the distraction Zaiya thought she would be.