| chapter three |

" Power is neither good nor evil, but its user makes it so

" Power is neither good nor evil, but its user makes it so. " - Erin Hunter

── •✧• ──

IN THE hours that followed, Zaiya was engrossed in another one of her books. She sat in her room, the dim orange glow of candlelight dancing along the walls. She would be intimidating Mordo at this very moment, but he ran away with the Ancient One as soon as Strange was thrown out the door. Time flew by, Zaiya entranced by Wong's personal recommendations of writings. Strange, on the other hand, would be in for the longest five hours of his life. His surgeries, which lasted twelve hours or more, seemed much faster than this seemingly endless torture. It was beyond humiliating, his form desperately clinging to the door.

Zaiya made an effort to not think about the battered doctor too much; she wasn't shocked The Ancient One had refused his entry. He was uneducated and only pleaded to learn when he was proven wrong the harsh way. Neither Zaiya nor The Ancient One thought he was interested in learning their methods for the sake of knowledge and appreciation for the intricacies of the Mystic Arts, but rather to mend his bruised ego.

Perhaps all the Avengers needed a nice holiday out here.

── •✧• ──

The Ancient One stood beneath the slowly rotating globe, her hands delicately twisting the Eye of Agamotto on its pedestal. Her eyes dashed across the small, circular flashing lights twinkle across the brass surface. It would make no sense to an outsider, this being a masters skill and she had it with ease. The Ancient One took notice when Mordo entered the room, his stride determined and purposeful. Her eyes didn't leave her work, knowing Mordo was about to speak his mind.

"You think I was wrong to cast him out?" The Ancient One asked, her eyes still not leaving the globe.

"Five hours later, he's still on your doorstep. There's a strength to him." Mordo challenged, a small smirk on his face.

"Stubbornness, arrogance, ambition. I've seen it all before."

"He reminds you of Kaecillius?" Mordo asked, meeting the Ancient One head on, as she still gazed at the globe above.

"I cannot lead another gifted student to power only to lose him to the darkness."

"You didn't lose me. I wanted the power to defeat my enemies. You gave me the power to defeat my demons. And to live within the natural law." Mordo argued.

"We never lose our demons, Mordo. We only learn to live above them," The Ancient One replied, her wisdom shining through as it so often did.

Mordo remained silent for a moment, his eyes trailing to the floor in thought. Within seconds, his mind wandered to a certain silver-haired woman, the days previous events replaying over and over. He got the exact answers he wanted from inviting her on his search for the doctor. All he had to do was wait for the dishevelled man to wander down a bad street. Mordo was uncomfortable by Zaiya's presence, her very existence a threat to all he fought for.