| chapter thirty eight |

" Lust rushes but love waits

" Lust rushes but love waits. " - Bridgett Devoue

|| Mature Content Ahead ||

•◇•

STEPHEN AND Zaiya stood by the river side, silence between them. Today had been heavy on both of their hearts, the guilt beginning to eat Stephen alive. Zaiya feared he would blame himself, which was stupid of him to do. She did feel better, having talked to Wanda for a long time before she went to speak to Clint. Stephen jumped at the opportunity to finally properly speak with her.

"You okay?" Stephen asked, shuffling his feet.

"I will be. As we all will. Try to let go of the guilt." Zaiya replied, staring at the man.

"Zaiya..."

"No. Stephen. You gave the universe its life back. Without you, we never would have known."

"Yet the pain caused is all the same."

"Pain was inevitable. Is inevitable. Tony wouldn't have done it if he didn't want to. He had his chance to back out and he didn't. Don't insult that."

"I'm not trying to. It's just...five years. I'm sorry."

Zaiya bit her lip, trying to ignore the anger that bubbled.

"I don't need an apology. I got through it."

"You've succumbed to the darkness. It's..."

"What!? Scary, terrifying? What nightmares are made of?! Save it, Stephen."

"I'm worried about you."

"You don't get to! I won't blame you for any of it, because at the end of the day we won. You did what you had to, and I did what I had to."

"You had to commune with the Dark Dimension to this level?!"

"I'm standing here just fine! I had five years without you, yet I didn't need you to tell me to stop. I did that all on my own. You have no right to play saviour."

The two were standing close to each other, their voices raised. It didn't go unnoticed, Wong, Peter and Steve standing beside each other.

"Should we...um?" Peter asked, slightly worried for the bickering couple.

"No." Steve and Wong both replied, tearing the eyes away from the two.

Zaiya turned on her heel, facing away from the man she cared so dearly for. Stephen took a breath, trying to recollect himself.

"Zaiya. Zai..."

Her heart broke at the nick name.

"I'm not trying to scold you. But you have to understand my concern, not only it is my and your job it's also you. I don't want to lose the woman I love after getting her back."