| chapter fifty two |

" If we don't respect the past, we'll find it harder to build a future

" If we don't respect the past, we'll find it harder to build a future. " - Julian Fellowes

── •✧• ──

| Mature Content Ahead |

"STEPHEN. I told you not to stress about it." Zaiya droned, dramatically leaning onto her hand as her elbow rested on the kitchen island.

"Okay, well I am." Stephen muttered, his hair still untidy and ruffled.

The two had barely dipped into their morning teas before Stephen's far away glances, silent rambling of his lips and frazzled look got Zaiya to ask the dreaded question. "What are you thinking about?" When your job is protecting the reality of your universe, that question often became a rabbit hole.

"Stephen. I told you. The answers we clearly need aren't here and they're not in Kamar-Taj. We don't really have the time to dive into it, our job comes first, remember?"

"And what happened to making time?"

Zaiya took a deep breath, getting frustrated.

"Maybe we can't. We can barely sit down and look into this issue, imagine actually having a little me and you running around!"

"I told you I'd battle fate for you. You left me dangling over the Grand Canyon for twelve hours because I went against that on an issue that wasn't even personal! I just want it to work, for us. When the time is right." Stephen said, letting his quick jump to anger calm itself, his voice now low and soft as he stood beside Zaiya.

Zaiya looked to him, her face quickly taken into its hands.

"You are going to be my wife. You are just as important to me as our reality. Our life is important. Don't give up on it, on us. On our boy."

Zaiya smiled at him, before she went over the words he said again.

"Boy?" Zaiya asked, furrowing her brows.

"Yeah, why not?"

Zaiya laughed, bringing a hand up to Stephen's face. Her thumb brushed against his soft skin, causing Stephen to exhale through his nose. As his eyes fluttered closed, she learnt up and connected her lips to his. Stephen responded quickly, taking a step forward and moving his hands to her neck.

Zaiya, feeling bold, stood from her chair and gripped onto Stephen's shoulders. He let his back hit the counter top, not letting go of her as though his life depended on it.