| chapter thirty four |

" I fear no evil

" I fear no evil. The shadow is mine. "

•◇•

ZAIYA CROUCHED beside Bruce, more worried for his well-being than anything else in that moment. Whether or not the snap had worked, she simply didn't want to think about it more than a couple of seconds. The here and now is what mattered, she would be damned if she let the past get in the way of that.

"Did it work?" Bruce asked, his body writhing in pain.

"We're not sure. It's okay, it's okay." Thor said quickly, worried for his friend.

"Let's worry about you first, okay?" Zaiya reaffirmed, fussing over the deep gash like bruises that covered half of Bruce's body. It was bad, but she was sure he would bounce back relatively unharmed. At least, she hoped that was the case.

Before she could even think about getting the first aid kit, her body was wracked forward by an overwhelming force, the queasiness in her stomach increasing tenfold as she felt her body plummet down at a breakneck speed. Zaiya's skin tore open, fresh blood oozing out of the fresh wounds like water from a broken dam. Her body landed harshly on the jagged floor, knocking the breath out of her lungs.

She wasn't sure if she was knocked out, but she didn't have time to think about it before her body was being lifted off of the ground.

"Zaiya? Zaiya, are you okay?" Thor's familiar voice spoke out to her, his strength getting her up in no time.

"I...I think so. Are you?"

"I'm okay. Come on, let's get out of here." Thor said, letting Zaiya stand by her own.

She wasn't sure how much rubble was around and above them, but she knew she didn't have time to think about it. Her eyes melted into a swirl of black and green, her arms covered in ink like flames. She pushed her hands outwards, allowing the rubble to burn and melt away for a good few metres as a dark green orb levitated through the air, barrelling its way through the concrete and metal cage the duo found themselves in.

It took a few moments, but eventually a dull light peered through the hole. Thor and Zaiya wasting no time in making their way up the makeshift tunnel she had created. Thor stood close by, scared that the girl might fall. She had blood seeping through her hair, a large gash on her hairline. Some of her armour was already dented and shattered, pieces of the fabric shredded open to reveal the dark crimson of her blood. He was sure he didn't look much better, but he worried for her all the same.

What Zaiya saw at the top of the tunnel made her blood boil. The flames appeared around her once again, the tendrils erupting from her spine and immediately darting themselves to face Thanos, who did nothing but sit and fiddle with a rock he had obviously found on the ground. She recognised this place from her nightmare, the wasteland where Stephen and Thanos had mocked and tormented her. Her lips twitched, her nose crinkling in sadness and anger. She took a determined step forwards, ready to fight Thanos again, only to be stopped by Thor's arm.