| chapter thirty seven |

" Sometimes two people have to fall apart to realise how much they need to fall back together

" Sometimes two people have to fall apart to realise how much they need to fall back together. "

•◇•

EVERYTHING TURNED to ash and dust, each of their enemies fading away into the air, never to be seen again. As Thanos's sad eyes landed on his daughter, he took a few steps towards her. Zaiya, showed no respect, staying firmly in her place and scowling at the man she hated more than anyone. She watched as he too faded, no sadness or mourning piercing her heart. For that was to be reserved for another.

Her eyes were torn towards Tony, now leaning against a piece of rubble. His eyes were already glassy, his movements slow and uncoordinated. Zaiya found the strength to stand, taking slow steps towards him. Peter rushed ahead of her, quickly kneeling in front of the man he respected more than anyone else. Tears began to brim in her eyes, knowing Tony's time was ending.

"Mr Stark. Can you hear me? It's Peter. Hey...we won, Mr Stark. We won, Mr Stark." Peter spoke, his heart being torn in two.

Zaiya choked on a sob, her figure now next to the teenager, kneeling slowly beside him. Her delicate hand placed itself on his shoulder, her eyes looking at his own.

Peter began to break down, muttering words and apologies, the tears now pouring down his cheeks.

"Peter...Peter come on." Zaiya urged, gently but strongly pulling him away from Tony.

Tony and Zaiya made eye contact, tears now flowing from her cheeks.

"Be at peace, Tony. You deserve to rest...thank you." Zaiya whispered, Peter's sobs now escalating.

Tony used the little energy he had to smile at the woman he truly did love like family, despite their bickering and difference of opinions.

Pepper made her way towards them, Zaiya now dragging Peter back to let the couple have their last moments together. Peter became a wreck, latching onto Zaiya tightly and crying onto her shoulder. She wasted no time in wrapping her arms around the boy, soothing him with gentle shushes and soft caresses of her fingers across his back. Zaiya tried to hold it together, for the sake of the boy, but soon the sobs were wracking through her body too.

Then, it was silent.

Tony had left, Pepper's quite sobs breaking everyone's hearts. Soon, each of them lowered to one knee, both out of respect and an overwhelming sense of emotion. Sadness, happiness, exhaustion. The war had been won, yet no one felt as thought they really had achieved victory. Zaiya wasn't sure if she could ever feel it fully, she barely had the guts to look at Stephen for more than a few seconds.

Zaiya fell into a constant cycle it seemed, beginning and ending one after the other with no breaks in between. She wasn't sure how much more her heart could take.