| chapter forty eight |

" Love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person

" Love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. To love somebody isn't just a strong feeling, it is a decision, a judgement and a promise. "

── •✧• ──

THE PAIN was pure agony. If it weren't for MJ and Ned picking her up and dragging her onto her feet she might have laid there for a little while longer until she could at least find her breath again.

"Come on! Come on!" MJ yelled, holding onto Zaiya's hand and pulling her along.

It took a few strides, but soon Zaiya was sprinting alongside them, weaving their way through the maze of scaffolding. The Lizard was hot on their tail, his only downfall the very nature of the path they ran down. Zaiya was hoping for some type of miracle. She gritted her teeth, ready to turn around and fight him all over again as a portal opened in front of the group. A smile came to her face as she pushed her legs forwards, barely missing the torrent of water that spew out behind them.

Zaiya pushed them up the stairs and stopped just as Peter called out to MJ, who immediately threw Doctor Connor's cure towards him. The Doctor bit down harshly onto the steel water bottle, spewing its contents out into a green cloud.

"Woah." Ned sighed, taking a moment to watch as the skin of The Lizard began to melt away.

"Give me the box. We need to get out of here." Zaiya winced, holding out her hand.

"Oh, right, right!" Ned said, handing her the box and immediately weaving another portal.

It opened almost instantly...which shocked Zaiya. Awfully proficient at opening them...

Then, her miracle seemingly came true. Met with the comforting eyes of Stephen, who looked just as shocked to see them.

"Zaiya?" Stephen said, breaking into a smile.

"Thank the Spirits." Zaiya mumbled, stepping forward and collapsing into his chest.

"Where-wait, what happened to you?" Stephen asked, noticing the blood pooling down her shoulder and matting her silver hair.

"Stupid dinosaur. I'm fine." Zaiya mumbled, taking a step back.

"We'll see about that later. I'll be taking that though." Stephen said, his hand reaching down to grab the box out of her hands.

She jumped back immediately, securing it with tendrils behind her back.

"Zaiya." Stephen warned.