| chapter thirty five |

" Black hole sun, won't you come and wash away the rain

" Black hole sun, won't you come and wash away the rain. " - Soundgarden

•◇•

MJOLNIR HURLED towards Zaiya at a breakneck speed, unable to escape Thanos's clutches in time to avoid its hurdling form. She felt the bulk of the hammer land directly into her chest and collarbone, knowing that the bone had surely shattered on impact. Zaiya flew back with the speed of the hammer, flying several metres before landing harshly on the ground. She allowed the pain to overwhelm her for a moment, tears brimming her eyes. Perhaps out of fear or instinct, she eyed the hurdling form of Mjolnir again, watching as it flew across the sky. However, this time instead of making a collision course for her, it landed safely in the hands of Steve Rogers. Zaiya beamed brightly through the pain, a huff of a laugh escaping her.

"Fuck yeah." Zaiya whispered, hissing as she moved her body upwards once more.

Zaiya watched on as Steve and Thanos fought, the former being immediately effective with his new weapon. She rolled her shoulder, ignoring the crushing and shattering of bone, before she allowed her body to move forwards. She traversed delicately across the rubble and flames, knowing that it wasn't a battle Steve could win on his own. As soon as she could, she whipped her tendrils forwards, allowing them to coil around Thanos's arms like a python would it's prey. Steve's shield was shattered, his form huddled low to the ground in an attempt to protect himself from the downwards swing of Thanos's double edged sword.

Thanos nearly tripped over himself due to the disruption in his momentum, his hands beginning to tingle with numbness as the tendrils wrapped themselves tighter around his arm. Zaiya preempted his next move, allowing his hand to reach for her tendrils in an attempt to rip them off his arm. Zaiya smirked as she thrusted more forwards, allowing two tendrils to pierce through his hand. Thanos yelled out in pain, his dark violet blood pouring out of the gaping wound. His rage increased tenfold, his blade piercing the ground deeply to act as an anchor. Before he could do anything, he was met by a kick to the face from Steve, his jaw cracking unnaturally to the side.

Zaiya took a few steps forward, letting her coils tighten more around his arm. It was almost as though Thanos didn't learn his lesson the first time, using his wounded hand to grab at her tendrils once more, Zaiya lurched the same two forwards, puncturing the same wound as before. However, Thanos clenched his fist around them, he dulled the pain and ripped them forwards, Zaiya falling along with them. Her collarbone screamed in protest, her shoulder almost feeling like it was about to rip away from her.

The tendrils around his arm loosened enough for him to reach for his blade, successfully knocking Steve back several metres before he could attack once more and lining up his next attack towards Zaiya. Zaiya saw the impact coming, quickly bringing a pitiful shield along her form, barely softening the blow the sword dealt to her. She fell to the ground beside Thanos, ready for her death. But, it never came.