| chapter fifty seven |

" No beast is more savage than man when possessed with power answerable to his rage

" No beast is more savage than man when possessed with power answerable to his rage. " - Plutarch

── •✧• ──

HER WORLD turned crimson, consumed by a maelstrom of anger, betrayal, and pain. Zaiya's gaze fixated on the dying grass, the once vibrant foliage crumbling into nothingness. Every ounce of her being was captivated by Wanda's every breath, witnessing an astonishing metamorphosis unfold before her very eyes. With a snarl curling her lip and her eyes transforming into an intense, piercing black, Zaiya's fury was palpable.  Stephen moved closer to his beloved, the fiery warmth emanating from her presence enveloping him.

Her obsidian eyes locked onto the Darkhold, their intensity piercing through its corrupted pages that glowed with an eerie blood-red hue. With each passing moment, her breath grew shallow and strained, as if burdened by the weight of her deepest fears. Slowly, those fears began to escape her heart, coursing through her veins and sending tingles all the way to her fingertips.

She should have known.

Wanda's gaze fixated on Zaiya, the woman she had come to consider a friend, feeling a mix of anticipation and unease. She couldn't help but notice the subtle signs of tension in Zaiya's body - the twitching fingers, the tensed foot in her boots. Inwardly, Wanda acknowledged the threat that Zaiya posed, for she was perhaps the only person on Earth who could rival her power....but if Zaiya made herself an enemy she too would have to fall. 

"The Darkhold..." Stephen muttered, feeling rather uncomfortable in it's presence.

"You're familiar with the Darkhold?" Wanda asked, voice filled with admiration and awe. 

"We're aware it corrupts everything and everyone it touches. Wanda, this the Book of the Damned. It will hold you in it's vice grip and never let you go. What is has and will to do you is-" Zaiya began, before Wanda spoke.

"Was it not you who travelled to the Dark Dimension to regain her power? Putting the entire world at risk? If you want to talk of corruption, perhaps look at yourself." Wanda spat, eyes alight in fury.

"I do not welcome corruption. It is a risk and price I pay and I carry to protect this world. You do not. And for what?" Zaiya snarled, taking a step closer.

"The Darkhold has only showed me the truth. Everything I lost can be mine again."

"What do you want with America?" Stephen butt in, keeping a watchful eye on his love. "What do you want with the Multiverse?"

"I'm going to leave this reality and go to one where I can be with my children." 

"Wanda, your children aren't real. You created them with magic, they are gone." Zaiya spoke, shaking her head in disbelief.