| chapter forty five |

" Fate is a future you didn't try hard enough to change

" Fate is a future you didn't try hard enough to change. " - J A Konrath

•◇•

DOCTOR STRANGE and Zaiya appeared in the undercroft by a simple portal, the former levitating in the air whilst the latter simply landed on her feet. She began to observe the room, noticing that most of the cells were full. A soft smile came to her lips as she glanced at Peter, who gave her a warm smile in return. The kid was impressive, and never failed to shine through in the most difficult of moments. It made Zaiya smile more.

"Oh, great. You caught another one." Stephen stated, before manifesting another portal over a man who stood in the centre of the room.

"No, no, no, wait, Strange! He's not dangerous!" Peter exclaimed far too late.

Zaiya bit her lip as she winced ever so slightly. Stephen had been like this all morning, as soon as they woke he was up and out of bed. He didn't even make tea, which was far out of the norm. His mind seemed...elsewhere and Zaiya wondered if it had anything to do with the conversation the night previous. She had some assurance that it was simply the matter at hand that made him so flustered. But it worried her all the same.

"It's okay...um....what is that?" Peter asked, changing the subject entirely.

Zaiya took a breath as she glanced at the Macchina di Kadavus. An ancient relic simply biding its time amongst the many rooms of the Sanctum. She was glad Stephen remembered its existence, she was just glad she managed to dust the thing off before he actually used it. Inside lay the very spell that got them all into this mess.

"It's an ancient relic. The Macchina di Kadavus. I trapped your corrupted spell inside and once I finish the proper ritual it'll reverse the spell and send these guys back to their universes." Stephen explained, Zaiya not missing the look of pure distraught on Peter's face.

"And then what? We perish?" The octopus man asked, causing Zaiya to arch a brow in mild concern.

"No. No, thanks. I'll pass on that." Another dark skinned man said.

"Let me out of here, Peter!" The newest addition to the room cried out, getting sympathy out of the silver haired woman who stood at the centre of their imprisonment.

"Strange...Zaiya. We can't send them back. Not yet." Peter pleaded.

"Why, Peter?" Zaiya asked with a soft voice, taking careful steps towards the boy.

"Well, some of these guys are gonna die." Peter explained, taking another look around the room.

"Parker, it's their fate." Stephen stated ever so simply.