| chapter thirty one |

" To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead

" To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead. " - Bertrand Russell

•◇•

"IT'S SCOTT Lang! We met a few years ago at the airport...in Germany!" An oddly familiar voice resounded across the room causing Zaiya to abruptly stand from her chair, the book once in her hands now plummeting downwards.

Her feet shuffled across the floor as she stumbled over her fast, desperate pace. Zaiya practically bursted into the room where Natasha and Steve were. The clear delusion Zaiya was experiencing caused her brows to furrow, and she had to fight the urge to rub her eyes to make sure she was actually awake.

"Is this an old message?" Steve asked lowly, his brows furrowed together.

"It's the front gate." Zaiya's breath caught in her throat when Natasha replied.

Scott Lang was in front of them, still alive, in spite of every census and report. Zaiya's breath began to tremble. How? Why? Was it some terrible joke? Her heart was now rapidly thumping in her chest as she kept her eyes riveted to the television as Scott Lang was given admission to their facility. Was he...back?

As soon as she willed the thought into existence, she immediately cursed it away. Zaiya would not be so foolish as to think that. Never was anything that simple. Besides, she didn't need the pleasure or satisfaction of seeing him emerge out of nowhere and enter through that door. She knew that she wouldn't instantly leap into his arms, give him a tender kiss, and start crying out of pure joy. Zaiya thought she was capable of handling that much at least. That hope of his return was unnecessary for her.

Or so she wanted to so desperately to believe.

•◇•

Zaiya was unable to take her gaze off of Scott. She continued to observe him pacing back and forth while knotting her brows together.

"Are you okay?" Steve asked, his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"Yeah...have any of you guys studied quantam physics?" Scott suddenly asked, causing Zaiya to tilt her head in confusion.

"Only to make conversation." Natasha replied, Zaiya sighing.

While some of Scott's babbling confused Zaiya, she continued to listen. Some of the few words that caught her attention were the quantum realm, for whatever reason.

"Wait. You said quantum realm?" Zaiya asked, her brows finally relaxing.

"Yeah..." Scott nodded.