Chapter 4

~Skylar's POV~
-1 month later-
I was around 5pm. I was doing some schoolwork that my moms sent over. It was all really easy. I've always done well in school.

When I finished all the school work, I put it all away and then Dr. Reese came in.
"Hey Skylar.. what are we up to?" She asked me.
"Not much, just finished my school work." I said.

"Ok.. so I wanted Dr. Scott to come in and do a quick neuro exam on you if that's ok." She explained.
I nodded my head.

Dr. Scott came in.
"Hey Skylar, how are we doing?" He asked me.
"Doing good, I think." I chuckled.

"Alright, let's get this started. So first, I want you to remember the words I tell you, then tell me them in the exact order I told you." He explained.
"Got it." I said.

"Cat, Pig, Bird, Wolf." He told me.
Then he made me close my eyes for 10 seconds.
"Ok, now repeat them." He told me.
"Cat, Pig, Bird, ... and... Wolf." I told him.

He shined a light in my face.
"Ok Skylar, can you follow the light?" He asked me.
I did what I was told.
"Ok, can you squeeze my hands?" He asked me.
I did what I was told.

"Alright, everything seems good..." he said.
"Great.... Um... can I ask you a question?" I asked him.
"Yea sure, what's on your mind, Sky?" He asked me, putting his tablet down.

"Is... um... are the men... who did this... are they um... where are they?" I asked. "I know you used to be a cop, and I know you're still friends with some of them.." I said.
He thought for a moment and sharply exhaled.
"Well, um... your uncle killed one of them.. and the other one, and one of the cops shot the other guy in the leg. The guy who lived, is now in prison for life." He explained.

I looked at him, I didn't know what to feel.
"I forgot Jaxson killed the guy..." I said.
He nodded his head.

"Yea... do you have anymore questions? We can keep talking of you want. Or would you like some time alone?" He asked me.
The thing was, I didn't want to be alone, but I didn't want to keep him from doing his job.

"You can go back to the ER." I said.
"You sure? You don't look like you wanna be left alone." He told me.
I hesitated for a moment, but then I spoke again.
"Yea I'm sure. You're an ER doc. Go be on your floor." I chuckled.

He left and I didn't know what to do.
I'm not allowed to have my phone or an real contact with the outside world while I'm here. The only people I see is doctors, nurses, and psychiatrics. I see my moms 2-3 times a week, and my siblings 1-2 times.

I have one more month here and I can't wait to get out of here. I'm still in the leg brace and last I heard, I'm gonna be in this for about 2/3 more months.

I looked at the desk in my room. All that was there was my textbooks, workbooks, and paper with some crayons. And I saw the sunflower drawing I made about a month ago.

I grabbed it and looked at it.
"I miss you...." I whispered, and some tears fell.
I hugged the drawing.
"I'm going to keep the promise... I promise..." I whispered, looking up.

All of a sudden, all the memories of that whole, torturous week was coming back, flooding my brain and I couldn't switch it off.
I was covering my ears, trying to somehow block out the noise.
"No, no! Stop!" I screamed, wanting these flashbacks to leave, but it was like a movie in my head that wouldn't press pause or stop.

I was seeing Cameron, laying on the floor, then it turned to the guy raping me, then it turned into Cam and I having the greatest time ever at Navy Pier, and it wouldn't stop.
"No, no..." I was freaking out now.
The flashbacks and memories just kept coming and coming and wouldn't stop.

All of a sudden I saw Dr. Charles and Dr. Reese come in.
"Hey, Skylar. Look at me, breathe in... and out..." Dr. Charles grabbed my hands and tried to get me to listen to him. But I couldn't. I could barely hear him.

I shook my head.
"The... that warehouse... the guys... Cameron... bruises... beating..." I was making no sense.
My heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest. I couldn't breathe, everything was getting fuzzy.

I had my hand on my chest.
"Hey, hey Skylar... listen, I need you to breathe... in and out... come on. Do it with me. In through the nose... out through the mouth..." Dr. Charles told me.

I couldn't. I tried to, but I couldn't.
"Let's get her on oxygen." Dr. Charles said. They put an oxygen mask on me and I eventually got my breathing under control.

Once I was more aware of what was going on, Dr. Reese spoke to me.
"Skylar... do you want to explain what happened?" She asked me.

"I... I was looking at that drawing... and I made me think of Cam... then all these terrifying memories came just rushing back, like a movie that I couldn't shut off..." I explained, crying.
"It's ok... it's ok... it's normal with PTSD... you're ok... and we're going to help you manage that." Dr. Charles explained.

I nodded my head.
"Ok..." I said.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻