Chapter 25

~Skylar's POV~
We stayed quiet for about a minute, watching her kids on the playground, before I noticed something. Her kids were running around only 10 feet in front of us. But I saw something. A car speeding. And not stopping. It was only about 400 feet from us.

I got up, ran, and grabbed her kids. I ran back to Lia.
"Come on! Run!" I yelled.
Lia got up and ran. She grabbed Julia from my arms. I ran about a quarter mile away from the playground. I put down Jayden and Lia and I both caught out breath.
Once we stopped, Lia was so confused.

"What- what happened?" She asked, out of breath.
I looked back and we heard a big crash. That speeding car hit the playground we were just sitting at. At full speed.
"Oh my god.." Lia said.
"Listen, just stay here with the kids. Or go back to the cabin. I'll call Daniel." I said.

I ran over to the car. I called Daniel.
"Hey baby, what's up? Food's about to be done." He told me.
"Listen, we're at a playground and I don't know which one. Its by the beach. But it took a like almost 10 minutes to get here. There was crash car. Hurry!" I yelled and hung up.

I ran to the car. Once I got there. I looked inside.
There was a young woman.
"Hey, ma'am? Ma'am, can you hear me?" I asked her.
She looked up at me. She had gashes all over her face.
"Where.. where is he?" She asked.

"Where's who?" I asked her.
"Aiden.. where's my Aiden?" She asked.
"Who's Aiden?" I asked her.
"My son.. he's my son..." she said. She looked super out of it. But not because of the crash.

I looked in the back seat. I opened the door. There was young boy, maybe 4 in the backseat. He looked scared.
I looked next to the boy and noticed bags of white powder, pills, and needles. Once he saw what I was looking at, he covered them up.

"Mommy told me not to let anyone see that. Or else she'll leave me." He said.
"It's ok. Listen, my names Skylar. Your's is Aiden?" I asked.
He nodded his head.
"Aiden, are you hurt anywhere?" I asked him.
He shook his head.

I looked around to see if Daniel had come yet.
He hasn't. I grabbed the kid. And put him on a bench that was just 20 feet from where the scene is.
"Wait here. Don't worry, we're going to help your mom." I told him.

I went back to the car.
The woman was slipping in and out of consciousness.
"Ma'am? Ma'am?" I asked her.
She looked at me. Her pupils were pinpoint to the the point where you couldn't even see them.

I called 911.
911: 911, what is your emergency?
Skylar: hi, there was a car crash. And the driver is very much under the influence of drugs. She had a young kid in the backseat. But he's appears to be fine.
911: ok, can you tell me your location?
Skylar: I um... I don't know...

I was looking around, trying to find a name of this place. Then I saw a sign.

Skylar: ok, yes. We're at Oakland National Community. The scene is at the playground by the beach.
911: ok. I'm sending over help. Is the driver conscious and breathing?

I looked back at the woman and felt her pulse.

Skylar: barely... her pulse is weak and thready.
911: ok. They should be there is less than 5 minutes.
Skylar: ok thank you.

Once I hung up the phone, Daniel and David pulled up and ran over.
"Fill us in." Daniel said.
"She crashed the car. Had a kid in the backseat. He's over there. But she's very very high." I said.

David looked at the woman. Then the woman started seizing.
"She's ODing. Dan, help me get her out of the car." David told his brother.
They got her out and put her on the ground. I took off my jacket and put it under her head.

Aiden ran over and went to his mother.
"Mommy!" He yelled. I pulled him away.
"Listen. She's going to be ok..." I told him.
He was crying and shook his head.

"I don't want to go back to foster care." He cried and buried his face in my shoulder.
"It's ok... it's ok... listen, it's going to be ok..." I cupped his little face in my hands.
He gripped onto me tight. He tried to look at his mom, but I stopped him.
"Listen. Don't look. Just focus on me." I told him.

Then the ambulance came. They got the mom on a stretcher and one of them came over to get the boy.
"You're going to go with these nice paramedics, ok?" I told Aiden.
He pulled my shirt.
"I want you to come." He told me.

"I don't think I can.." I told him.
"Please.." he cried.
I looked at Daniel. He nodded his head.
"I'll meet you at the hospital." He told me.

"You can ride with us." The paramedic said.
Aiden and I went in the front passenger seat. He sat on my lap as we drove to the hospital.
We went inside the ER.
"Woman in early 30s. Crashed her car into a playground, under the influence, having trouble keep her stats up." One of the paramedics said.

I was carrying Aiden on my hip.
"Who's this?" Some nurse came up to me.
"This is Aiden. The woman's son. He doesn't appear to be injured. But I think he should still get checked out.
"Ok, Aiden. Do you want to come with me and we'll get up checked out? Maybe some ice cream and candy?" The nurse smiled at him.

Aiden looked at me.
"Don't worry. You're safe here. They're going to take really good care of you." I told him.
He went into the nurse's arms and I walked away in the waiting room.

I took there. Sort of pacing back and forth. I was tearing up. I know what it's like to have my parent in the ER.
Then Daniel came in. He stopped my pacing.
"Hey. Are you ok? Are you hurt at all?" He asked me.

"Um.. no.. no I'm good..." I said, wiping my tears.
"What's wrong?" He asked me.
I looked at him.
"I just.. I know how that kid feels... I always had one parent or the other in the ER every other month... it's scary..." I cried.

Daniel pulled me into his arms and rubbed my back.
"Yea.. I know too... it's ok.." he said.
I took some deep breaths and then I saw David, Lia, and the kids there.
"Hey.. thank you..." Lia hugged me.
"For- for what?" I asked her.

"If you hadn't grabbed my kids and ran. They would've been dead.. thank you so much..." she explained to me.
She grabbed both my hands and smiled.
Then both Julia and Jayden came up and hugged me.
I chuckled.

"Um.. yea.. of course.." I said.
"Come on, let's head back..." Daniel said, rubbing my back.
"Yea.. yea... let's go." I said, getting up.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻