Chapter 67

-2weeks later-
-mid November-
~Skylar's POV~
I'm 22 weeks now and Maxx has been living with Daniel and I for 2 weeks now. It's been a huge adjustment for all of us. Mom and Ma know that he's living here. They aren't happy, but they agreed to let him live here. He even wants to become a firefighter here too.

We told Maxx last week about the pregnancy. He was surprised, but happy for us. And he's excited to become an uncle.

Daniel and I didn't have work today, but Maxx has school, and today he has a parent-teacher conference. It's a progress check. It's tonight at 7.

I was in the living room, doing work on my laptop.
"Alright, I'm leaving for school." Maxx called out.
"Ok bye. Be careful driving." I told him.
We let Maxx have Daniel's other car because he mostly uses his truck and my car will be the family car once our daughter comes.

Once Maxx left, I stayed working on my computer for a few more minutes before Daniel came out.
"Good morning baby." I smiled.
"Hey my love." He smiled. He sat next to me on the couch and gave me a kiss.

"What are you doing?" He asked me.
"Ordering some stuff for this little nugget." I smiled.
"What are you ordering? We've gotten so much stuff already..." he laughed. We actually finished the nursery last week.
"Just some more clothes and toys for when she older." I said.

-few hours later-
It was now 6:40 and Daniel and I had to leave in 10 minutes to Maxx's school.
"Alright Maxx, we're gonna go really soon, is there anything your teachers are going to tell us?" I asked him. He was in his room playing video games.

"Uh, I don't think so..." he said. But he wasn't paying attention. I called his name a few more times to hear if he heard me and he didn't say anything.
"Hey." I snapped my fingers at him.
"What?" He asked, taking his headphones fully off. Giving me an attitude.
"Don't give me an attitude. I asked you a question and called your name a few times and you didn't pay attention." I told him.

"Yea I heard your question, the teachers ain't going to say anything bad." He said.
He was stilling give me an attitude, but I didn't want to start yelling at him right now. He's been a little fresh with us lately. Daniel doesn't do or say anything about it to him because he doesn't feel comfortable disciplining him.

I left his room and I went out to the living room.
"Hey, you look worked up, are you ok?" Daniel asked me.
"Yea I'm fine, he's just... being a teenager I guess." I sighed.
"Alright, we have to leave now." He told me, looking at his watch.

I nodded my head and we left.
We drove to his school.
All of a sudden I felt a cramp in my rib and I sharply inhaled. I winced in pain and grabbed my ribs.
"Woah, hey are you ok?" Daniel asked me.

"Yea... yea I'm fine.. it was just our daughter kicking... Dr. Collins said that pain like this is normality, especially since I'm going into the 3rd trimester soon.." I explained.
He looked at me, worried.

"Maybe you should consider stopping work or not coming to all the shifts. These 15 hours shifts have been killing you lately. I've been watching you." He explained.
"Baby, it's fine. I was thinking about stopping in maybe 2 months anyway." I explained.

We pulled up to Maxx's school and went inside. We found the classroom we had to go to and had to wait outside the room for about 5 minutes.
Once we went inside, there were 4 teachers.
"Hello, are you here for Maxx Severide?" A woman asked us.
"Yea." I smiled, shaking there hands.
"How is he doing in school?" Daniel asked them.

"He's doing great! He got caught up very quick and is very good! He's a delight to have in class!" One of his teachers said. And they all agreed.
"I just have to ask, you two look so young for having a 17 year old! What's your secret?" One of his teachers chuckled.

Daniel and I looked at each other.
"We aren't his parents... he's my brother. We're only 22 and 23." I awkwardly explained.
"Oh... I'm sorry. But.. do you mind me asking why he isn't with your parents?" One of the teachers asked.
"They just got into an argument and he came asking us to move in and of course we said yes." I explained, not really wanting to go into detail and confused as to why they were asking us this.

We kept on talking for about another 30 minutes. After that, we finally left.
"That was... eventful. Our first parent teacher conference." Daniel chuckled.
"You could say that again..." I said.

"At least he's doing good in school." He said.
I nodded my head.
"Yea, there's that.." I said as I leaned myself in the seat of the car.
"I'm so tired..." I chuckled.
"It's only 7:45pm." Daniel laughed.

"And I'm pregnant with your daughter and we also have a 17 year old at home." I chuckled.
"It's so weird to say that we have a 17 year old... considering that we're only 23 and 22 years old." Daniel said.
"I know." I said.

We drove home.
When we got inside, we saw Maxx in the kitchen.
"Hey, what are you doing?" I asked him.
"Making myself a sandwich." He said.
"What if we order something for dinner?" I suggested.

"We should get pizza." Maxx said.
Daniel looked at me.
"I'm good with that." I said.
"Alright, I'll order." Daniel said.

Daniel went to another room to make the call.
Maxx started putting the sandwich stuff away.
"Hey, I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier. I just got caught up in my game." He told me.
"Don't worry about it. I'm a bit short tempered right now sometimes because.. you know.." I chuckled, putting my hand on my stomach.

"Do you guys have a name picked out yet?" He asked me.
"Not yet. We haven't really discussed names yet." I said.
"What did my teachers say?" He asked.
"They said that you're a good student. I'm proud of you.." I smiled.

"Really? Thanks... I'm just doing what I'm supposed to do." He laughed.
"How's your senior year been? Has it been fun? Staying out of trouble?" I asked him.
"Yea, I've met some people too. We've been talking and hanging out at school." He told me.
"Nice." I said.

"How was your senior year? Was it fun?" He asked me.
"Um... yea, it was." I sort of lied.
"Do you like being a cop? Are you even still working?" He asked me.
"Yea I do. And I'm on a desk position right now because I can't work right now actively out in the field." I explained.

"Isn't that boring though? Why wouldn't you just stop working entirely and stay home?" He asked me.
"It can be a little boring, but I'd be even more bored being home all day while Daniel on shift." I explained.
"Fair." He said.

"You still wanna become a firefighter?" I asked him.
He nodded his head.
"Yea... but I want to become one here, not in Chicago. Our whole family is just generations of firefighters there and I want to start somewhere different." He said.
"Yea I understand." I told him.

"Why did you choose to become a cop? What made you want to?" He asked me.
"I didn't want to continue my accounting major, and Daniel entertained the idea of becoming a cop. I thought about it, started training, and here I am." I said.

"That's cool.. I'm excited to become a firefighter." He said.
"You'll be great. Just be careful." I told him.
"Don't worry.. I'll try." He laughed.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻