Chapter 18

-same day as where chapter 17 ended-
-8pm-
~Daniel's POV~
It was the end of our shift. Sky still hasn't texted me back all day. I was worried. I know she just wanted some space, but I thought she would've texted me back by now.

"Hey, you wanna head by the bar tonight?" Kyle told me.
I looked up from my phone at him.
"Uh, not tonight, sorry... I gotta do something." I told him.

He looked at me confused, but agreed.
"Alright, let me know if you chance you're mind." He said.
He left for the night.
"Hey son, you think you'll be able to work at the bar tonight? Chris just called out." My dad came up to me.
"No, sorry pops. I have to take care of something first." I told him, grabbing my bag.

I left the station and went to my car.
I texted Skylar again.
"Hey baby, I just wanna check in again and see if you're ok? You haven't responded to me and I'm a little worried."

I decided to just swing by her place to see if she's ok.
I drove to her place. When I got there, I noticed a Starbucks bag and a McDonald's bag. I checked them. They were delivered almost 12 hours ago. They were both untouched. Now I was worried.

I knocked on her door.
"Hey babe? It's me." I said. No response.
I knocked again, harder.
Still no response.
I knocked again.
"Babe? Skylar?" I yelled.
Nothing.

I looked around to make sure no one was there.
I got in position to kick the door down. But right before I did, I heard the door open.
"What the hell are you doing?" Skylar asked me.
I looked at her.

"I knocked on the door a few times and called out your name, you didn't answer." I told her.
"Yea I was sleeping..." she yawned.
I looked at the food in her hallway.
"Have you been sleeping all day?" I asked her.

"Uh.. yea... I guess. What time even is it?" She asked me.
"Baby.. it's already almost 9pm now..." I told her.
She looked at me surprised and kinda laughed.
"You're joking... it's not that late already.." she said.

I was worried for her. She's been sleeping all day? That's not like her. Then I noticed the bandages and bruises on her.
"Did you end up going to the hospital?" I asked her.

She shook her head.
"No I um... I ended up just driving to a CVS and getting some stuff.." she said.
"I could've taken you.. are you sure you don't wanna go to the hospital? It's looks like you probably should.. just to be safe." I told her.

She shook her head again.
"No- no.. Daniel it's fine..." she told me.
I went over to her. She was sitting on the couch.
I sat next to her and stroked her hair.
I looked at her and tried to kiss her cheek, but she pulled away. I could tell something was on her mind.

~Skylar's POV~
Daniel sat down next to me on the couch. I love him. I don't want to breakup with him. But I have to. It's too much, it's too dangerous.

It took all my power to not just lean on him and let him just wrap him arms around me. I feel safe with him, but we're also just in my apartment. But what about when we're out on the streets? Will something like last night happen again?

He stroked my hair. But I didn't look at him. I knew if I looked at him, I was gonna hug and kiss him. When he leaned in to kiss me, I pulled away. Both our love languages are physical touch, so I know he was super confused.

"Baby? Are you ok?" He asked me.
I looked at him, but didn't answer. I didn't expect him to even come here today. I put my head back done and just stared off into space.
"Hey, Skylar?" Daniel picked my chin up and made me look at him.

I looked at him and I just did not want to break up with him. I love this guy. But I can't be with him.
"Daniel I... I think that I just need to be alone right now... please just..." I said, but my voice trailed off.
I could tell he was confused. I almost never call him by his name much anymore. I always call him babe or baby.

"Baby... have you even eaten today or anything?" He asked me, almost just completely avoiding what I told him.
I shook my head. I haven't eaten all day.
"Ok... how about we go out to a drive thru and just get something to eat?" He asked me.

"No- Daniel..." I was trying to speak, but I couldn't.
"What do you want me to do? Do you want me to make you something to eat?" He asked me.
"No! I- can you just..." I kinda just snapped. I buried my face in my hands and teared up.

"Baby? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" he asked me.
I looked up at him and just said it.
"We can't do this anymore..." I sniffled.

He couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. And neither could I.
"Sky- what- what do you mean?" He asked me.
"This..."llama op
"Daniel you know I love you-" I explained, but he cut me off.
"So then why are we having this conversation?" He asked me.

I sighed, but kept on talking.
"Your job... it's so dangerous... what happened last night..." I said.
"Ok, but... baby, I love you. What happened last night.. nothing like that is ever gonna happen again." He said.

"You don't know that." I said.
"Ok, I don't know that for sure. But I will always protect you." He told me.
I shook my head and looked down.

"I just... I think it would be better to just... take a break for now..." I said.
He sort of just sat there, processing everything.
"But... I don't understand why we have to do this.. Sky I love you... plz... it doesn't have to end like this..." he said, holding my hands.

I looked at him and teared up. But I knew this was for the best.
"Daniel I'm sorry I just... I'm afraid of that happening again... your job is just.. it's too much... I can't do this anymore..." I said.
He shook his head.

"Babe.. please, you're the best thing that's happened to me..." he said, squeezing my hands.
"I-... I can't relive what happened to me 2 years ago again... this just isn't gonna work." I said.
He looked like he wanted to say something else, but then he just got up.

"Alright... I'm sorry that last night happened.." he said. Without even giving me time to answer or react for that, he walked out.
I buried my face in my hands and cried.

I made the right choice. Didn't I?

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻