Chapter 37

~Skylar's POV~
We were in the snack aisle when I heard someone call out my name.
"Hey, Skylar!" I heard my name. I looked and saw my parents and siblings there.

I couldn't believe it.
"Oh my god, what are you guys doing here?!" I laughed and hugged them.
"Maxx has a football game, and Scarlett's on the cheer team. So we're in California for the next week." Mom explained.
"Hey you guys." Daniel smiled at them.
"Hey." My parents smile at him.

"Are you busy right now?" I asked them.
"No, it's a free day today. But they have a game to be at tomorrow." Ma explained.
"Sky I thought you lived in LA. Isn't that like a 5/6 hour drive from here?" Maxx asked me.
"Yea, my family has a little house here in this community. We come every couple weeks." Daniel explained.

"Who are these two?" Mom smiled at Jayden and Julia in the car.
"My niece and nephew. This is Julia, this is Jayden." Daniel explained.
They both said hi, but were confused.

"You guys wanna come over to the house for a bit? Catch up?" I asked my family, and looking at Daniel to see if it was ok.
He nodded his head and my family agreed.
"Alright, I'll text you address, but you guys need a pass to get in. It's a gated community." I explained.
"Yea I can call the front office and get them a pass real quick." Daniel said, getting out his phone.

We finished shopping and now we're driving back to the community.
"Hey Sky?" I heard Jayden ask.
"Hey bud?" I asked him.
"Who were those people in the store?" He asked me.
"That's my family. We're going to hang out with them for a bit at the house ok?" I asked him.
He nodded his head.

Once we got to the house, Daniel and so unpacked all the groceries and then we all sat down outside on the deck.
"Sky, can we go to the park please?" Jayden asked me.
I looked at Maxx.
"Hey Maxx, you have your license now right?" I asked him.
"Yea why?" He asked me.

I threw him the keys that had the golf cart keys on them.
"There's a playground around the corner from here. You wanna take them? If you want, you can go for a golf cart ride too." I told him.
"Yea sure, but this place is huge." Maxx chuckled.
"Don't worry, there's a Map in the little compartment there." Daniel chuckled.

The kids left so it was just my parents, Daniel, and I.
"So give you been? How's college been? You graduate this year right?" Ma asked him.
I looked at Daniel.
"Uh... no.... I switched my major and I actually finished college about 4 months ago. I didn't have a graduation." I explained to them.

They both looked at me so confused.
"What do you mean? So what are you doing?" They asked me.
I hesitated, but I slightly lifted my shirt for them to see my badge and gun.
"I'm a cop now... intelligence officer. I work with Daniel and his family." I said.

They looked very surprised.
"Um... why did you decide to switch?" Mom asked me.
"I didn't really like the major I was going towards anymore... and Daniel suggested that I become a cop. I hesitated, but once I started the training and saw how his unit worked. I realized that I wanted to become one." I explained.

I couldn't really tell what they're expressions were.
"I mean... are you sure you want that dangerous of a job?" Ma asked me.
I looked at them and sort of laughed.
"Coming from the firefighter and Paramedic?" I asked them.

"You know what we mean. We didn't expect you to have such a dangerous job." Mom said.
"You want me to go out them in the safe? We have Jayden and Julia here with us." Daniel whispered to me.
"Yea sure." I told him.
I took my gun off my belt, took out the magazine, and made sure there was nothing in the barrel. And I gave it to him.

Once he left, my moms looked at me.
"Are you sure this is what you wanna do?" Mom asked me.
I was confused.
"Yea of course. I've been one for about 4 months now." I said.
Ma got closer to me and held my hands.

"Sweetheart... are you sure you're not just making this huge change... because of him?" She asked me.
"What?" I asked her. I couldn't believe she said this.
"Be honest with me. You know this is a big change. You're changing your whole life career." She said.

"N-no, no! I chose this. Yes he helped me, but I wanted this." I raised my voice at them, upset that they accused me of this.
"Honey, listen... we aren't trying to tell what to do, we just-" mom was saying, but I stopped her.
"No, you don't think I can think for myself. Because of everything that happened in the past, you think I'm just a fragile, little girl. But I just changed my mind. I didn't want to continue with finance, and he helped me. I'm not changing anything because of him. This was my own doing." I kept on raising my voice.

"Hey.. what's going on?" Daniel came out and put his hand on my shoulder.
I looked at him.
"Nothing just..." I didn't even finish my sentence. I just sighed and went into the house.
I sat down on the bed in the main bedroom and closed the door.

~Daniel's POV~
When Skylar went inside, I was confused.
I looked at her parents.
"Um.. is everything ok with her?" I asked them.

They both looked at me.
"Did you... have anything to do with her just all of a sudden becoming a cop?" Alyssa asked me.
I was confused.
"I'm sorry... I don't understand." I told her.

"She never thought once about becoming a cop or firefighter, or even a paramedic before meeting you. She start dating you, and all of a sudden, she's a cop. Did you force her?" Brielle asked me.

"No-no Ma'am.." I nervously chuckled, confused by why they would think this. "Sky explained to me that she was getting bored and tired of her major, I brought up the idea of becoming a cop, explained to her that I could help her become one quick, and she was able to enroll in the police academy at UCLA. With mine and my family's help, she became one very quick. But she's also a very good one. She's taken down so many people and she's the best officer we've ever had in the unit. She even helped us on a huge case we had before she even became an officer. I'm sure you heard about it." I told them.

"No... what case are you talking about?" Alyssa asked me.
That's when I realized I messed up.
But before I could answer, my phone rang.
"I just gotta take this first." I told them.

Daniel: hey what's up, Jason?
Jason: hey, can you and Skylar come down to the district.
Daniel: we're at Oakland... why, what's wrong?
Jason: it's about the Thompson case a few months back...

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻