Chapter 7

~Skylar's POV~
-one month later-
-August-
I've been living in LA for just over a month now. It's been amazing and scary, and so freeing at the same time. I've made one friend from my job, Emily. We almost always have the same schedule and shifts, so work is really fun with her.

I have weekly FaceTime calls with Dr. Charles.
Usually every Sunday.
I've been loving California. I feel free and so much joy.
I start college next month, which I'm so excited for. This year, I have to take a lot of just basic classes, then next year, I focus on my major more, which I'm super super stoked for.

I was at the coffee shop, on shift. It was about to be the end of my shift, I worked a closing shift today.
"Hey, Sky, after this, you wanna head out and maybe grab a bite to eat?" Emily asked me as we were checking inventory.

"Wanna head by my place and order some take out?" I suggested.
"Yea, that sounds good. Maybe we can watch a movie or something." She said.

After we were done. We closed up the shopped and headed back to my place. This is the first time Emily's been to my place. We always just hang out outside, but it was late, so we wanted to just chill.

"Wow, your apartment is so cute." Emily said when we walked in.
"Thanks." I chuckled.
"So.. what should we ordered?" She asked me.
"Maybe... in N out? I can door dash it." I said.
"Oooo yes!" She said.

We ordered some food and then we just hung out for the rest of the night. She left my apartment at about 10pm.
I got ready for bed once she left and went to sleep.

-next morning-
The next morning, I got up at 7 and took a shower. I didn't really have any plans today, but I just wanted to be ready incase I decided to go out later.

I made myself a smoothie for breakfast, then I got my weekly FaceTime call with Doctor Charles at noon. For Chicago, it was 10am there.
I answered the FaceTime on my laptop. I was placed the computer on the counter in the kitchen.

"Hey Doctor Charles." I smiled when I answered.
"Hey Skylar. So, how we doing?" He asked me.
"Doing good." I said.

"How was your past week? Anything exciting happen?" He asked me.
"Not really. I just had work and when I wasn't at work. I was either hanging out here, or just driving around. Just going for a drive." I said.

"Ok... how are you feeling?" He asked me.
"Good, really good. I'm loving California." I smiled.
"That's great to hear." He said.

We kept on talking until 1pm.
After we hung up the call, I cleaned up the apartment more and then just hung out on the couch.
I didn't really know what to do.
I was kinda just bored.

Then I got a call from my boss.
"Hey Skylar, are you free right now?" She asked me.
"Yes, I am. Why?" I asked her.

"Jack called out today, can you work today?" She asked me.
"Yea, I can come in. I'll be there at 2." I said.
"Perfect, thank you so much." She said.

I didn't really want to work. But I was bored, so it would give me something to do.
I got ready for work and headed out.
I drove to downtown LA, where I worked.
It took me a couple to times to find parking, but once I did, I headed inside.

"Hey Sky, I didn't know you were working today." Hailey said when she saw me walk into the break room to put my stuff away.
"Hey, yea. Jack called out, so Melinda called me and asked me to cover." I said.

"Oh ok, it's not too busy right now, we just finished with the rush." She chuckled.
"Ok, I'll see you on the floor." I chuckled and I got my apron on and went out.

I went to a register.
"Hey there, what can I get you?" I asked a lady at the counter.
"Can I get 3 large Iced Coffees with cream, sugar and cinnamon?" She asked.

"Ok... is that all?" I said, inputting the order.
"No, can I also get 3 everything bagels with bacon, egg, and cheese. 5 glazed donuts, and a dozen chocolate chip cookies?" She asked me.
"Ok.. can I have a name for the order?" I asked her.
"Jackie." She said.

I inputted everything into the tablet and did her order.
"Ok, I got 3 coffees, 3 bagels, 5 donuts, and a frozen chocolate chip cookies for Jackie!" I yelled out as I put the order at the pick up station.

I kept going on with work.
At 5pm, I went on break.
I'm actually the youngest person at my job, everyone else is 20 or older.
"Hey Skylar. Man you're crazy fast out there." Olivia told me.

"Just doing the job." I chuckled as I sat there on my phone.
"When do you start college?" She asked me.
"Next month, I'm excited." I said.
"Nice, what are you majoring in?" She asked me.

"Finance and Business." I said.
"Wow, you'll be making good money then." She laughed.
"That's what I hope." I laughed.

I finished work at 8pm and after that, I headed to target. I didn't really need to get anything, but I just decided to go.

I mostly just walked around the store, and got a few little things. I went to the home decor section and found a throw blanket and pillows set. It was sunflowers.

I smiled when I saw them and immediately put them in my cart.
After I left the store, I got some Chick-fil-A.

I got home at 11pm.
Once I got home, I started eating, then I got a FaceTime call from mom.

I answered it, and saw Scarlett.
"Hey Scarley!" I laughed when I saw her.
"Hiii! I miss you!" She said.
"I miss you too. Where's Mommy or Mama? Are they there?" I asked her.

She just giggled and wouldn't tell me.
"Hey Scarlett, listen to me. Where's mommy or mama?" I asked her.
"Scarlett! Do you have my phone?" I heard mom call out.

"Mom?" I asked.
I saw the phone get taken away from Scarlett.
"Scarlett, you cannot be calling Skylar past 7pm. You know that. Go get ready for bed, it's bedtime." Mom told Scarlett.

Then she started talking to me.
"Sorry.. did she wake you?" Mom said, she looked stressed out.
"No, I got home not too long ago. Just eating right now and I'm gonna go to bed soon." I told her.

"Ok, just go to bed soon." She told me.
"Hey mom? You ok? You look stressed out." I asked her.
"Yea, just... Maxx's in the hospital." She told me.
I almost choked on my food.

"What? What happened?" I asked her, now worried.
"At football practice, he got hurt. Don't worry? It's nothing serious, but you know how I am.. he's probably gonna be home soon. Ma's with him at Med." She explained.

"Ok, but what happened?" I asked.
"He was at practice, and he got tackled a little too hard and got hurt. He's ok though, just has some bumps and bruises, but nothing serious. Don't worry. Just.. you know how I am..." she slightly chuckled.

"Yea. Ok. Well, let me know how he is. And I think I'm gonna go to bed now because it's almost midnight." I said.
"Oh, yea that's right. I always forget that you're 2 hours ahead of us." She said

"Alright, night mom. Love you." I smiled.
"Night baby." She smiled and she hung up the phone.
I finished my food and got ready for bed shortly after.
I laid in bed on my phone for about 20 minutes before I fell asleep.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻