Chapter 30

-one week later-
Daniel and Skylar decided to move back the day that Skylar would come to Daniel's work.
Skylar and Daniel both haven't gone to work in a week, trying to adjust to their new living situation. Skylar had to change her address on everything and tell her family.

~Skylar's POV~
Daniel and I have been living together for a week now. It's been an adjustment for both of us. I told my moms the other day that I'm now living with Daniel, and they couldn't believe it. They don't know I'm trying to become a cop though.

It was the middle of the night and I woke up. For some reason, I got spooked out of my sleep. Only to see Daniel standing by the window with a cup of coffee in his hand, staring out into the city. I looked at the clock on the nightstand by my side of the bed and it was 4am.

"Babe? What are you doing?" I sleepily said, sitting up.
He looked at me.
"Just... watching... I was going to wake you up in about an hour anyway." He said, looking at his watch.
I completely forgot that I was going to his work today.

"Why don't you just come back to bed?" I asked him.
He looked at me then out the window, then set his coffee down and laid with me in bed.
He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head.

I know he's still upset about this whole situation. Not about me living with him, but the reason why. I'm upset too, but, after all the shit I've been through, I've just found it easier to cope with change.

We actually got my car wrapped a different color and changed the license plates. My car used to be red, but now we wrapped it black, and we changed my license plates.

I looked up at him and he looked down at me. He looked away for a second and then sighed.
"What's wrong?" I asked him.
"Nothing." He said.
"Why were you awake?" I asked him.
"Woke up at around 330 and couldn't go back to sleep." He said.

I nodded my head.
I saw him look at the clock on my nightstand.
"It's 430. I usually get up around this time.." he said.
"Ok..." I said. But before he got up, I grabbed his shirt and kissed him.

Once we pulled away, he smiled.
"What was that for?" He asked.
"You've been so stressed lately... I'm just... trying to help a bit..." I said.
He looked at me and stroked my cheek.
"You being here is enough. I know you're safe here. That's all the help I need. One less thing to worry about." He told me.

We got up and got ready.
Daniel was in the shower, I showered last night.
I got dressed in a t-shirt, black jeans, and boots. I threw on a jacket over it and fixed my hair.

Daniel got out of the shower and got dressed himself.
"Hey babe?" I asked him.
"Yea?" He asked me.
"Will I be going on calls or... I don't know what you call them.. with you?" He asked.

"Well, we don't get calls. We pretty much just stay upstairs, trying to figure some things on a case. But we do go out if we have to go check something out or if we have a lead on something. But, you don't have to come. And I honestly don't know what you would do. Since you're just observing." He explained.
"Ok, yea you're right" I chuckled.

"I usually just have a coffee and some little thing at the district." He told me as grabbed his keys.
"Alright." I said.

We went down to his truck and drove to the district.
We got outside and we stayed in the car for a minute.
Daniel sort of just stared off, looking around.

"Hey? You ok?" I asked him, grabbing his hand.
He snapped out of his thoughts and looked at me.
"Uh yea.. yea..." he said.
"What's wrong?" I asked him. Something was on his mind, I knew it.

"Just... making sure Weston isn't here..." he told me.
I squeezed his hand.
"It's ok... let's just go inside." I told him.
He looked at me and nodded his head.
"Yea let's go." He said.

We went inside and walked by a guy at the front desk.
"Morning Dalton." Daniel told him.
"Morning Dan." The guy said, not looking up. Once he did, he looked at me, like he was studying me.
"Who are you?" He asked me.

"Dalton, Skylar. Skylar, Dalton. She's gonna be an officer in a few weeks, so I thought I'd bring her in to show her the ropes." Daniel explained.
"Nice to meet you." Dalton smiled at me.
I smiled back and nodded my head before we went upstairs.

"I thought your mom was the desk Sarge?" I whispered to Daniel.
"Yea.. she was. Until she moved to intelligence. Dalton got really injured a few months back. We were checking something out and he got shot in his lower back." He explained to me.

"Oh my god. Is he ok?" I asked.
"His legs aren't as strong as they used to. So we moved him to desk Sarge and my mom wanted to take his place." He explained.
"My god..." I said.

We got up the stairs and Daniel has to scan his ID and hand before opening a gate.
"Hey Dan. Welcome back." Kyle greeted Daniel when we walked in.
"Hey man. Good to be back." Daniel told him.

"Great that you're back. I heard Liz say that we're starting a big case today." Kyle told Daniel.
"Hmm. Wonder what that is." Daniel said.
"Hey Skylar. I forgot that you were coming in." He told me.
"Yea I sort of did too until this morning." I laughed.

"Let's go see if we can get a cup of coffee before we start." Daniel chuckled.
We went to a little room that had a small kitchenette a table, a couch, and some lockers.

Daniel opened up a locker.
"Put your stuff in here." He said.
He told me to pack a small duffle bag just like him with a change of clothes, some snacks, and just some like medications like pain relievers.
I put my bag in his locker.

"You want some coffee?" He asked, grabbing some mugs.
"Yea. Thanks." I said.
He poured some coffee and gave it to me. I put some cream and sugar in it.

"Ok, you ready to see what this job is about?" He asked me.
I chuckled and nodded my head.
"As ready as I'll ever be.." I said. Then I realized the words I said and it made me remember something. It's what I told Noah when he tried to help me.

"Hey, you alright?" I felt Daniel's hand on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Yea, yea... just remembered something." I said.
We went out and the shift officially started.

"Alright everyone. Today's a big case. We're looking for a guy named Eric Thompson. We got a tip from the Chicago County Jail that he escaped. And they think he ended up here. We didn't get too much information." Daniel's dad, Diego, was explaining.

I looked at Daniel once he said Chicago.
"What's he done?" A woman asked.
"A bunch of things... assault, causing car accidents, caught selling narcotics... he's killed a few people..." Diego was reading the list.

"Why would be come here? Isn't Chicago like 2 thousand miles away?" Kyle asked him.
"They aren't sure..." He said.
I could feel my heart racing. This couldn't be that other guy that killed Cam... right?

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻