Chapter 38

~Daniel's POV~
I was on the phone with Jason.
Jason: we need you and Skylar to come down to the district.
Daniel: we're up in Oakland. Why, what's wrong?
Jason: it's about that Thompson case a few months back...
Daniel: what about it?

Jason: you guys need to come down here.
Daniel: ok, if you're not gonna give me a reason, I'm not going. I have my niece and nephew here too.
Jason: then bring them. But Skylar needs to come down here, or some guys in uniforms are gonna find her and put her in cuffs.

Daniel: what the hell are you talking about?
Jason: someone found out about what happened and now the head of PD wants to talk to Skylar. Your dad can't convince them to just let it go.
Daniel: Oh my god... yea, yea... alright. We'll be there. When we do we have to be there?
Jason: the sooner the better.

I hung up with Jason.
"Shit..." I rubbed my face.
"What's going on?" Brielle asked me.
I forgot they were here.
"Just work stuff. I need to go find Skylar..." I said.

I walked inside the house and tried to find Skylar.
"Hey babe?" I opened the door of the main bedroom.
I saw Skylar on the bed, sitting there. She was buddy fidgeting with her hands and zoned out, with some tears in her eyes.
"Baby?" I sat down next to her.

She snapped out of it and just hugged me.
"Are you ok?" I asked her.
"They think that you're forcing me to be a cop..." she cried.
"Yea I know... it's ok... we know the truth. That's all that matters." I told her.

She pulled away and wiped her tears.
"But... I hate how they just kept asking me over and over again. I wanted to become a cop. Yes you gave me the idea, but you have no idea how much that helped me... they don't understand." She said
"I'll Yea um... so listen. We have to head back to LA." I told her.

~Skylar's POV~
When Daniel told me we had to go to LA, I was confused.
"What do you mean?" I asked him.
"Um... someone found out about what happened to Thompson... and they want you..." he told me.

I didn't believe what he was telling me.
"What? Why do they want me?" I asked him.
"I... I don't know..." he said.
"What about Jayden and Julia?" I asked him.
He looked at the time.

"Damn... David's already started his shift..." he said.
"We could... take them? I'm not sure what's gonna happen, but I'm pretty sure that we can take them... we have them for the next 3 days..." I said.
He hesitated, but agreed.
"What are you gonna tell your parents?" He asked me.

"I don't... I'm not sure I want to talk to them right now..." I said.
"Babe... you have to, just tell them that something came up with work and we have to leave now." He said.

It took a minute, but I agreed. I went back out to my moms.
"Hey, Danny and I actually have to go." I told them.
"Why, what's going on?" Mom asked me.
"Something with work. But we have to leave like right now. Can you call Maxx?" I asked, but then they pulled up.

"Sky! Sky! I went down this really big slide!" Jayden ran up to me.
"Wow! That's awesome! But we have to leave right now. But we're going to LA. It's gonna be fun ok?" I told them. Julia didn't really understand and Jayden barely did either.

"Why?" He asked.
"Uh..." I looked at Daniel for help.
"We wanted to take you guys to see some cools things there." Daniel said.
"Like what?" Jayden asked.

"It's a surprise. Come on, let's get everything in the car." Daniel said, grabbing his niece and nephew and going inside.
My family looked at me confused.
"I thought you guys just got here, what's going on?" Maxx asked.

"Something came up at work and Daniel and I have to go. But we can't just leave his niece and nephew or take them back to their parents right now." I explained.
"What do you mean? What's so crazy about being a barista that you need to leave?" Maxx asked.

I forgot he doesn't know, and neither does Scarlett.
"I'm not a barista anymore, I'm a cop now." I told them. I showed them my badge. Both their jaws dropped.
"No way." Maxx sort of chuckled.

I looked at my moms.
"Sky, you better tell us what's going on right now. We can see you're stressed out. So what's going on?" Ma asked me.
Then Daniel came out with everything ready.

"I promise I'll explain everything later. But we really have to go..." I told them.
Daniel quickly gave me my gun and I put it on my belt.
He got Jayden and Julia loaded in his car and got all the bags.
We quickly said goodbye and we were on the road again.

We had to be quick. Jason said that the sooner we get there the better. I don't know what's going on. How did someone find out about the whole Thompson case? Diego swept everything under the rug.

3 hours into the car ride, over halfway, I checked on Jayden and Julia and they were both passed out.
"You should call David. Tell him that we're going to LA. But don't tell him the reason why. Just maybe say we wanted to do something with them over there." I said.

"Yea you're right." He said, getting his phone out.
"Can you just text him for me? I know he's not gonna answer because he's working." He said, handing me his phone.
I typed a message, made sure it sounded right with Daniel and clicked send.

-LA-
We finally got to LA and went straight to the district.
We grabbed the kids who were still sleeping and carried them upstairs with us.

Once we got upstairs, we some people we didn't recognize.
"Detective Skylar Severide?" One of them asked me.
"Yes?" I asked, super confused.
"You have to come with us." They said, one grabbing my arm.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻