Chapter 20

~Skylar's POV~
I turned back around to look at Daniel and motioned my head to meet me outside. I went out through the back and he went around through the front. We went at the side of the building in the alley.

"Ok... you got 5 minutes. What's up?" I asked him.
"You remember how you told me that one of your moms works on that Arson stuff?" He asked me.
I was confused why he was asking me this.

"Yea.. why?" I asked him.
"Did you ever help out? Like do cases with her?" He asked me.
"I never went with her. But I would look at some files or two if she ever brought them home... where are you trying to go with this?" I asked him.

He took a deep breath before he finally spoke.
"Will you help us with this case?" He finally asked me.
I stopped for a second.
"I-.. what?" I asked him.
"I know it seems kinda crazy, but we need your help with a case." He told me.

"Out of all people.. why me?" I asked, super confused.
"Because.. we had this case of a girl and her friend that went missing.. and they basically experienced the same exact thing you did... this girl's friend died, but she's so shaken up that she won't talk to anyone of us. Because she says no one can relate to her. It made me think of you... can you please just help us?" He asked me.

I didn't even know what to say at first. I've never done anything like this before.
"I- I don't know Daniel... I'm not even a cop. And you want me to interrogate someone?" I asked him.
"I know.. I know... but we don't know what else to do... please Skylar? Just this once.. after this... I'll leave you alone for good and we can pretend that we never even met." He said.

I stayed quiet for a minute, then I nodded my head.
"Ok... fine I'll do it. I know how scared and emotional this girl is right now..." I said.
"Thanks.. you're really helping us out..." he said.
"When do you want me?" I asked him.

"Tomorrow at 8am. She's in WFG." He told me.
"The hospital?" I asked.
"Yea, I'll be outside at 8 waiting for you." He told me.
"Alright..." I said.
We said goodbye to each other and he walked away. I stayed in that alleyway for about 2 minutes. Did I make the right choice?

-later that night-
I got home from my shift and I couldn't stop thinking about what I agreed to. But I already agreed. I can't back out now.

I sat on the couch in my living room, doing homework.
It was a whole bunch of finance stuff. I was getting annoyed with it. I don't understand. I love math and finance, but lately, I've just been annoyed with it and wondering if I was even making the right choice about my major. And I don't have much time to even switch. I don't even think I could. I graduate next year.

It took me almost 2 hours to finish everything. But not because it was hard, but because I just didn't want to do it. I went to bed around 11pm.

-next morning-
I woke up to my alarm going off at 6am.
I somehow forgot about the whole thing I promised Daniel yesterday.
I got in the shower, did my hair, and got dressed. I just wore jeans, a plain shirt, and a leather jacket with some little boots.

I did my makeup and ate a quick breakfast. I drove to the hospital and saw Daniel outside.
"Hey, thanks for agreeing to this even though we..." he said, but didn't finish his sentence.
"Yea no problem." I said as we walked inside.

"So..Can you tell me anything about this girl before I just go in and talk to her?" I asked him as we were in the elevator.
"Her name is Hailey. She's 19, and she was kidnapped, along with her friend, who died of her injuries. We found them just a few days ago. They were kidnapped for about 3 weeks. But we haven't gotten any information out of her. Nothing on who it was, what exactly happened, nothing." He explained.

"What, when you guys found them, there was no one there beside them?" I asked him.
"Pretty much.." he said.
"What do I tell this girl when she asks me who I am?" I asked him.

"We already got that planned out. You're going to say that you are a police officer. But don't formally introduce yourself like Officer Severide. Just tell her your first name and get her to be comfortable with you. Explain to her how you understand what she went through and try to get something out of her." He explained to me.

I nodded my head to show I understood.
We got to a floor, my best guess was that it was the ICU. We met up with his unit. I recognized Garrett, Kyle, and Jason. The 3 guys that we were with that day of the shooting range.

"Hey, you must be Skylar?" Some guy came up to me.
"Skylar, this is my father." Daniel told me.
"Oh, it's nice to meet you, Sarge." I told him.
"Thanks for agreeing to do this. I know it's probably a little weird given the situation between you and Daniel.." he was saying.

"Dad..." Daniel sighed.
"No, no it's fine. I'm happy to help." I said.
Daniel pulled me aside.
"Listen, if you don't want to do this, you can still back out. If you don't feel comfortable, if this is too much..." he told me.

"No, it's ok. I'll do it." I said.
Everyone kinda explained to me what they already knew about what happened. They don't know what happened to me when I was 17. Daniel just told them that he knew I would be a good help.

But now they're going to know everything that happened.
"Ok, we have to set this wire and mic up to you to hear everything." Daniel helped me get everything on. They would be able to hear everything, but not talk to me.

"Ok.. do I have like a time limit that I can be in there for or..?" I asked.
"Nope, not at all. We just need this info." Some lady told me.
"Ok got it." I said.

The girl was in an ICU room that had a one way mirror. We could see her, but she couldn't see us. Right now there was a doctor in there, making sure she was ok and stable before we went in.

Then the doctor came out.
"Ok, she's ok for questioning, but I don't think she'll tell you anything willingly. We've even had our psychiatrist try and see if she'll say anything, but she's all closed up." The doctor explained.

"Ok.. you ready?" Daniel asked me.
I nodded my head.
I walked into the room.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻