Chapter 27

-end of June-
~Skylar's POV~
I was at Daniel's place because we're gonna go to the bar he works at tonight. He's at work and is supposed to come home in a few minutes.

I was sitting at his couch, just on my phone, I was talking to Ma.
Brielle: so how've you been honey?
Skylar: I'm good, I'm good. Just...
Brielle: just what? What's going on?
Skylar: I don't know.. things have been a little.. weird between Daniel and I lately.

Brielle: weird how? What do you mean?
Skylar: it's just... sometimes he looks off. Then he leaves the room for a few minutes. Then just comes back like nothing ever happened.. he doesn't let me touch the cabinets in his kitchen or the fridge... and lately he's been making us do a bunch of stuff. Like workout related... and it's like I'm almost in a class but it's just me and him... it's been going on for a few weeks now... I feel like he's hiding something from me...

Brielle: well.. you know, maybe try to talk to him about it.
Skylar: I've tried, but he just changes the subject.
Brielle: then, I'm not sure. Try to talk to him again about it. Aren't you guys going out today?
Skylar: yea, we're going to the bar and...

Then Daniel came in.
Skylar: I'll talk to you later Ma. Love you.
Brielle: ok sweetheart, love you too.

Once I hung up. I went over to Daniel.
"Hey baby.." I said.
"Hey.." he said, he looked off. But like really bad.
"Hey.. are you ok?" I asked him.
He looked at me.

"Um... yea, yea.. just.. rough day..." he said.
He leaned himself on the dining table.
"When was the last time you ate something?" I asked him. Getting closer to him.
He rubbed his face.
"I don't.. I don't know..." he said.

He looked like he had no strength to hold himself up.
"Hey, come on. Let's get you over to the couch.." I told him.
He hesitated, but then put his arm around me.
"Come on, just put your weight on me.." I said, as I helped him to the couch.

Once I got him on the couch, there was some rapid beeping. And it was coming from him.
"What is that?" I asked him. I lifted his shirt and saw a blood sugar monitor.
"You have diabetes?" I asked him. I never knew this.
He looked at me and nodded his head.
I looked at his blood sugar, it was low.

"Where do you keep your glucose?" I asked him.
"Fridge.. it's a.. it's a juice..." he was struggling to say and was breathing heavy.
I went over to his fridge and found the glucose. I grabbed a bottle and brought it over to him.
"Come on, sit up real quick... that's it..." I helped reposition him. I sat behind him and he leaned on me. I opened the bottle and helped him drink it.

"Come on, just drink it.." I said. He drank a few gulps before letting me grab the bottle back. I put it on the coffee table and stroked his hair.
"How long does this take to work?" I asked him.
"10 minutes..." he said.
"10 minutes, ok..." I whispered, putting a timer on my phone.

I sat there, stroking his hair as we were waiting for the juice to work. He was breathing pretty heavy as he was laying there.
"You're ok.. you're ok... see I'm helping you..." I said. He never likes me to help him.
"Your heart... is.. racing..." he said.
"Yea, you're scaring the hell out of me..." I whispered, kissing the top of his head.

After 10 minutes, the timer went off and he sat back up. He put his elbows on his knees and ran his fingers through his hair and sighed.

"Danny how... how long have you had diabetes?" I asked him.
"A couple months now..." he said.
"A couple months?? Is this what you've been hiding from me?"
He nodded his head.
"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because... I never wanted you to worry, or- or to scare you... I don't want you to think less of me..."
"Baby I... I would never think less of you. I wouldn't be scared... yea I would be a bit worried, but I'm here for you... I know you hate me seeing you vulnerable... but I'm here for you too... I love you... I know you think that because you're the cop... you have to be the one protecting both of us... but I want to be there for you too..." I told him.

He looked at me and put his hand on mine and rubbed it.
"I know... I just... when I found out... I was so scared... I've never dealt with anything like this..." he said.
"Does anyone know?" I asked him.
He looked at me and shook his head.

"No one at all? Don't they... I mean, don't they have to know that at your job?" I asked him.
"I never said anything. Every-time I have to take insulin or sugar, I just go to the bathroom or my car." He said.

I looked at him and sighed.
"Remember what I told you that night we first went to the bar?" I asked him.
He thought for a moment, then shook his head.
"I told you that I don't like being kept in the dark about stuff. I always want you to be honest with me... remember?"
He nodded his head.

"Yea, I remember..." he said
"Ok... I meant it..." I grabbed his hand and squeezed it.
He looked down and sighed.
"There's something else you should know too then...." He sighed.
"What?"

"You know all the workouts we've been doing? All this crazy stuff?" He asked me.
"Yea? Going to the gym and gun range all the time... what about it?" I asked.
"I've been setting you up to become a cop..." he told me.

I was surprised and didn't know how to react.
"What?" I asked him.
"I mean.. can you blame me? You were telling me how much you want to change your major.. and becoming a cop only takes a year. I was able to become one super quick because of my family, and also since I started training young. And I believe you could too. I was actually able to have you become a cop without actually having to go to the classes, since I'm a cop myself... and by the rate we're going, you could become a cop by November." He said.

"I- um.... Danny... I don't think I can be a cop... I don't have what it takes..." I told him.
"That's where you're wrong... babe, remember all these workouts we've been doing?" He asked me.
I nodded my head.
"You've been doing them better than any of the guys that my dad's been training. You've been getting better and better every time we train. You can become a cop. You do have what it takes." He told me.

I sighed.
"I don't... I don't know..." I said.
"Well, would you rather become a finance major?" He asked me.
I thought about that for a second.
"You really think I could become a cop?" I asked him.
"Yes, and I know you would make a great intelligence officer." He told me.

I smiled and kissed him.
"How will college work though? What will my family think?" I asked him.
"Well, I'm pretty sure that you can just finish early.. and... I'm not sure what your family would think..." he said.
I thought about it. And... I think I would like becoming a cop.

"Ok... how about we talk more about this tomorrow?" I asked him.
"Alright." He said.

We both got up and finally went to the bar.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻