63

Chapter 63 - "Smoke and Mirrors"

"They had it coming"

Previously on Captive...

"Are you sure?" Stiles questions. Katherine cups the back of his neck and nods once.

"I want this." She says quietly, her free hand lightly tracing his facial features. Butterflies flutter in her stomach as every nerve in her body begins to tingle. Him. I've always wanted him.

Katherine's bedroom begins to darken as the night drags on. Her and Stiles fall into a rythm, holding on to each other, not wanting to let go.

Katherine looks up at the clock in her English classroom, counting down the minutes until the bell will ring.

When she looks down at her desk, a gasp gets caught in her throat as she takes in the picture placed on her notebook. A picture of Scott with X's over his eyes. Death. Katherine picks up the picture quickly before discreetly looking around to see who could have placed it there. Everyone seems otherwise occupied, so she looks back to her desk to see if there's anything else. Nothing. And when she looks at the photo again, the X's are gone.

"I know we...briefly discussed this, but..." Katherine trails off. "I know I'm adopted."

"Yes. You are." Melissa answers hesitantly.

"How did you find me?" Katherine asks.

"You found us." Melissa corrects. "There was a...pounding at the door, which Rafael ended up answering," Katherine sits at the edge of her seat. "I wish I could say that there was someone with you, but you were bundled up in a blanket, lying on the Welcome mat at the front door."

"We took you to the hospital, and as much as it hurt to see you get jabbed with needles, they did tests on you to make sure that everything was okay. And with that, they did DNA testing as well." Melissa explains and Katherine looks back over at her. "They were able to connect you back to your biological parents, but they were never able to track them down.