16 (season 2)

Chapter 16 - "Omega"

Season 2

✧"Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me

"Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me."

As mom drives into the parking lot of the cemetery, Scott reaches over and takes my hand in his. I snap out of my daydreaming state and look over at him with a small smile as I try to keep my tears from spilling over. He squeezes my hand when the car slows to a stop. Mom unbuckles before turning in her seat to look back at me and Scott.

"We don't have to do this if you're not ready, Katherine. We can always come back and visit." Mom says softly while looking between my eyes. I cling onto Scott's hand for support. I desperately want to take my moms offer, but I have to be here for not only her, but for her husband and daughter.

I slightly shake my head. "I want to be here." I tell her and she nods.

"Okay, then. Let's go."

I let go of Scott's hand before unbuckling my seat belt. I then sit there, staring out the window, looking at the tombstones for a few seconds. The sound of the car door closing makes me flinch and I look over to see my mom outside of the car.

"Katherine, maybe we should just go home-"

"No." I tell Scott sternly and he closes his mouth. I change my tone of voice before finishing my sentence. "I need to do this, Scott."

He nods but I can tell he knows I don't want to. I open the car door before stepping out into the nice warm air. I feel so out of it that I almost fall flat onto the pavement, but I catch myself on the door and fix my footing before closing it. I pat down my black sun dress while rounding the car to stand in between my mother and Scott who were seeming to be waiting for me. Mom and Scott give me a quick side glance to make sure I'm okay before the three of us begin towards the crowd gathered off on an empty space in the graveyard.

As we get closer to the crowd I immediately notice Christine's daughter, Stephanie, being held by her father. I used to babysit her when I was fifteen just for a little extra cash. I can't believe she'll be growing up without a mother now. Stephanie's big green eyes spot me and her face lights up at the recognition. Her smile warms my heart and the anxiety I had diminishes. I make a beeline for her without paying attention to anyone else. When Mr. Flemming, Mike, notices me approaching them he sends me a grieving smile.

"Thank you for coming, Katherine." He says gravely and I nod in acknowledgement while gently grabbing onto Stephanie's hand. I feel two bodies step up on either side of me and I know immediately it's my mom and Scott. Mike nods his head towards them before handing Stephanie over to me. She giggles when I hold her close and the sound is like music to my ears. Mike walks away with my mom while Scott and I stay back in the crowd with Stephanie in my arms playing carefully with my hair.