18

Chapter 18 - "Ice Pick"

✧"You can't underestimate the power of fear

"You can't underestimate the power of fear."

"The struggles along the way are only meant to shape you for your purpose." 

- Chadwick Boseman <1977-2020>

I run into the gym, my shoes squealing against the floor once I stop next to Stiles. I feel a few eyes on me and I lean into Stiles, wanting to get away from the attention. Stiles turns towards me with a small smile, his arm brushing against mine, and he looks over my head and face as if somehow I should look different after the fiasco last night. The sweaty teens return their attention to the rock wall towering in front of us where Scott and Allison are currently harnessing up for the wall.

"Where were you?" Stiles asks quietly while side eyeing me.

"Running through the halls. I forgot next class was P.E." I answer through a breath and Stiles chuckles in return. I then look up at the rock wall to watch Scott and Allison begin to ascend up the structure. Allison's more experienced but Scott's faster. Once they both make it halfway up the tall wall they stop to exchange a few words. Allison makes the next move swiftly, kicking at Scott's foot which sends him falling to the mat at the bottom of the wall. The class erupts in laughter while Allison smirks before finishing her turn. Allison gently pats the smooth surface of the top of the structure, claiming her win, before descending down back to the mat that shifts under your weight.

"All right, next two. Stilinski, Erica, let's go." Coach instructs aloud. I exchange looks with Stiles and smile.

"Good luck, Stilinski." I say which earns me a smirk from him before he takes Allison's place on the mat. I turn to my left to see a frightened Erica. Her blonde frizzy hair sits on her shoulders before she quickly pushes it back with the back of her hand. I take a step towards her before gently placing my hand on her shoulder. She turns towards me as if startled and I give her a reassuring grin.

"It's okay, Erica, just try your best." I tell her quietly before she slightly nods. Once she begins to walk away, I pull my hand back to let her go. She stands in front of the wall, inches from Stiles, getting adjusted into the harness while eyeing the tall structure in front of her. Allison and Scott join me in the middle of the crowd of sweaty teens. I chuckle when I make eye contact with Scott and he rolls his eyes while I fist bump Allison.

"Well played." I tell her and she giggles in response. The three of us look over at the rock wall where Stiles and Erica are starting to climb. Stiles climbs the wall easily, he reaches the top first and comes back down to the mat in no time, Erica on the other hand grunts as she reaches for the footholds and when she tries to climb I can see her shake from the amount of strength she puts into each movement. My face twists in worry while I hope that no one laughs at her. She stops halfway up the wall and starts to hyperventilate through her cries. The group of Phy Ed students walk over to the wall, including Coach.