73

Chapter 73,"Status Asthmaticus"

━━━━━━━━━━━━

"What do you mean, 'no'?" Liam asks over the roar of thunder. His jaw is set and his eyes are narrowed as he steps close to Scott threateningly. I take a small step over to be in his way, making sure he's distanced from my brother.

"Liam, look at her," Scott says quietly, sympathetically. Liam turns his head to glance over at Hayden who's being coddled by Theo. For someone who despised her only days ago, Liam looks like he would kill for that girl. Young love. "She's too weak. It will kill her. We don't even know what the mercury's doing to her. We don't even know if it is actually the mercury."

I take a look at her myself and cringe slightly at the sweat glistening off her face, the bags under her eyes, and the pained expression etched along her facial features. The helplessness that washes over me is quiet painful. The thought of not being able to do anything is upsetting. I know Liam feels the same way and I wonder if this is what Stiles has felt before.

"This can't be the only way to save her life." Scott says finally, whispering the words.

Liam grinds his teeth together and looks at my brother with such hatred that it causes goosebumps to appear along my arms. "It saved mine." He states.

"You know, that was different," Scott reminds him. "You were hanging off a ledge."

"You promised." Liam says.

"What if it's not what she wants, Liam?" I question, trying to make him think about her needs rather than his. His dark eyes flash towards mine.

"It doesn't matter." He says angrily, not wanting to accept a different answer.

I look at him sadly. "That's not fair."

"Life isn't fair." He seethes. "You both said you would do everything you can to make sure she stays alive." His cold eyes glance between me and my brother.

"Which is why I'm not going to do something I think is going to kill her." Scott tells him with a slight gasp at the end. It catches all of us off guard that even Liam's demeanor changes into one of concern. "There has to be..." He trails off, gasping for air. His hand unconsciously grabs onto my arm for support and I place my free hand on his back comfortingly as he hangs his head low, trying to find his breathing pattern.