12

Chapter 12 - "Wolf's Bane"

✧"Grief is just love with no place to go

"Grief is just love with no place to go."

I walk into the hospital while looking down at my phone; trusting myself not to run into anything. I've been on edge ever since Scott and Stiles told me they were going to track down Derek. The thought of him really being alive sends a wave of relief over me. But then I remember because of Scott's awful thinking, they're saving him from being arrested. It doesn't make it any better to know that Derek's running from the police, but we're trying to help him. The boys sent me to the hospital to see if I could collect any information on Peter Hale, Derek's uncle, to see if he could have any relationship to wolves. I mean, he must, right? Derek's a wolf, so Peter has to be invlolved somehow.

I continue to stare at my phone; waiting for a message to pop up when I bump into someone. I gasp quietly before looking up immediately to apologize to whoever I clumsily ran into.

"I'm so sorry." I say before realizing it's Christine. I take a step back while ignoring the tension in the air. She's been very distant lately after admitting to me about the supernatural. I swat away the idea of her being the alpha.

"It's okay, Katherine. What, uh--what are you doing here?" She asks while looking around. I eye her in suspicion.

"I wanted to get to know your patients, preferably Peter Hale," I answer and she seems to hold her breath.

"I was thinking that since you're his doctor you know things about him and I would like to learn about him too." I say and Christine hesitantly nods.

"L-like what?" She stutters and I open my mouth to speak right when I get a message from Stiles. I look down at my phone that's still in my hands.

Stiles: We have Derek.

I smile breaks out on my face as I sigh in relief at those three words on the screen. He's okay. My excitment is short lived when I feel the holes being burned into my face from Christine's stare. My smile fades completely as I put away my phone and look back up at her tense figure.

I swallow hard before picking up where I left off. "I wanted to know whatever information you can give me." I say and Christine clears her throat. She seems to be sweaty from nerves. Why is she so on edge?