70

Chapter 70,"Strange Frequencies"

━━━━━━━━━━━━"I know what happened to Donovan

━━━━━━━━━━━━

"I know what happened to Donovan. I know everything..." Theo trails off. Suddenly, Stiles steps over towards Theo furiously and grabs a fistful of his shirt before shoving him up against the fence surrounding the generators. I flinch at the violent act while sparks spit out around the two.

I don't say anything as I'm afraid the tears will fall if I do.

"You don't know anything." I hear Stiles say, his voice low in anger. Theo's jaw sets and he pulls on Stiles' red sweater, changing positions with him with Stiles now against the fence. I take a few steps closer, my breathing heavy and eyes wide.

"I was there," Theo says and I look at the back of his head, confused. The night Stiles wept in my arms was the same night I was with Theo. How could he have been at the Library? "I went to the Library after helping Katherine because Malia found the book. She was texting us to see where you were. She said she left you at the Library." He explains. Stiles texted me that night saying he was heading home...was that a lie too? "I told her I was close. When I got there, I heard the scaffolding come down."

"You saw him?" Stiles asks, still holding onto Theo tightly.

"Just the body," Theo answers. I put a trembling hand up to my mouth, trying to keep the tears from falling. Stiles and Theo drop their hands from the other. "I watched you come out. I was gonna say something, but then I saw the cop car. And the body was gone," Theo continues. My face contorts in confusion. "I don't know who took him." Another body gone for sure. "I only saw what you saw, and I didn't say anything because you didn't."

I walk up to Stiles then, clearly angry. His face falls completely as I step between him and Theo. "Yeah, you didn't say anything. Why didn't you say anything?" I ask, my voice breaking.

"Katherine--" He says quietly.

"What did you think I would do?"

"I didn't want you to look at me differently," He answers and I look at him in disbelief. "After the Nogitsune, things changed between us and I didn't want to ruin it more."

"Was it self defense?" I ask simply. He nods quickly.

"Then who would I be if I hated you for what you did?" I question and he doesn't answer. "Out of everyone, I would have understood you. I wouldn't have told and I wouldn't have pushed you away like you did to me." Stiles puts his hand out towards me and I immediately push it away. A look of hurt passes through his eyes. "You lied to me, Stiles. Repeatedly. And I knew--I knew something was up. That something was wrong, but I wanted you to tell me. I didn't want to go inside your head and corrupt the thing you lost once before." I feel the tears now and I can't stop them. Stiles begins to tear up as well.